URGENT: NEED HELP DESPERATELY

Trep

Mar 16, 2008
Sydney, Australia
Im mixing and Recording some tracks for a band and they are getting it mastered elsewhere. This is my first time doing this and i NEED some help in seting my master bus levels. Ive Been Waiting on them to get some more Contact details for the Engneer doing it so i can find out what he wants.... they havent done that and its Deadline in a few Hours. I hate bands.... ANYway....

To my Understanding, (which is small) Master bus levels should not Exceed -12dB in Protools for usage with analog Gear? Im not sure if this is Right??

I Will mixing down some sub Mixes too. Drums Guitars Bass Vocals, Incase of problems. and Full mix's as well as a 1k reference tone

My Question is:

1. What Level is the Maximum Peak Suppose to be in Protools before Mix Down
2. What level should the maximum peak be in my Sub Mixes
3. How should i Cnotrol this- Master/individual channels
4. What Bit/Sample Rate should i Be using
5.What leel should the Reference toe be at
6. Am i Going in sane for nothing!!!! Will regular mixdown (not exceeding 0dB be ok????)

HELP!!!!!

Any Advice will be Very usefull.....

Thanks VERY VERY Much
:zombie::erk::cry:o_O:cry::puke::OMG::ill:

Always give the mastering engineer lots of headroom. I usually mix with everything peaking at -18 across the board when mixing ITB.

Give him the same bit rate as you recorded at. The final jump down to 16 bits will be done by him.

Ok, I think i already know the answer to this, Should i Pull Down My Master Bus Level Down, or My individual channel Level Down to not exceed -18 on the master Buss.

Whts the Correct Gain structure for This.

I personally use the channel levels to bring it down to that level and mix peaking around there as well.

I track everything peaking at those levels as well, with the exception of guitar and bass DI's.

And this is exactly why this place is an amazing resource, you ask a question when it really matters and someone who is more experienced in that field answers it in less than 10 mins!

If you send him your files at 32 bit then level is not very important because he can pull it up or down without losing any quality anyway.

Well guys, i Sent the Files off,

In the end i Just sent him a cover letter explaining what i did giving him A reference tone, The mixes with minimum 15db Headroom, and no mix bus processing.

Should find out on Thursday if it was good enough for him.

you guys on about rms values here? also, ideally as you being the step between the recording and the mastering, you should have had contact with the mastering engineer to find out his requirements as then to aid your work flow/end product with the minimal time loss

Contact would be logically the first point of solving my problem, As you sed, contact should be made anyway, I quote myself :loco: lol

Ive Been Waiting on them to get some more Contact details for the Engneer doing it so i can find out what he wants.... they havent done that and its Deadline in a few Hours. I hate bands....