Need Help With X-amp???

John Haddad (Shiva Industries)

Dump Truck Repairs
Nov 17, 2005
Corona, CA
www.trenchstudio.com
I just got an X-amp re-amp box. Was wondering what the chain "SHOULD" be in hooking it up. I first tried Motu HD192 output "3" to X-amp input (XLR) turned the level all the way up on the X-amp but couldn't get the clip light to "CLIP" DI sounded not very driven. Do I use my Mixer straight out of the MOTU then go to the X-amp from the Mixer to adjust the level in to the X-amp? Is that normal to do??? Help please!!!!!???!!!!

In the program do I raise the level of the DI? or should that be left alone? UGH!!!!!:puke::puke::puke:

Thanks in Advance,
John

I tried direct from DA converter (mono panned to output #3) to X-amp I wasn't getting enough volume from the signal. I wanted the clip light to clip so I could roll it back till it didn't clip anymore. ANy suggestions on why it might not be loud enough directly from DA to X-amp? Signal to weak maybe? The waveform is about 50-60% visually on the file.

Thanks,
John
:kickass:

I had similar problems with my x-amp when i first got it. I was trying to get the same thing going on and felt like I couldn't get the signal hot enough coming out of the DA. Later I determined that it was my DI level caused predominately by a crap instrument input. I ended up buying a j48 and never looked back. Felt like the headroom I got with the j48 was much better and produced a "hotter" DI into the DAW and thus to the x-amp. My DI track in PT is at unity and set to a balanced mono output. This was also crucial. At first I wasn't using a balanced cable to the x-amp either which resulted in noise and such. The x-amp can now clip which was my mark of success, at least I know its getting a rich signal and can roll it back like you are seeking. I don't know if any of this will help but it's the same situation I had with the radial and now I am totally happy with it. Good luck duder!

Thanks that did def help, I havent tried converting the stereo output to mono I just panned the signal hard left to 1 out put which in this case was output 3. I use Logic not that it matters.

Not sure of the source they used to track the DI unfortunately, I found my self running the DA out to Line input on my Trident console then from there to the X-amp and pushed the signal till it clipped than backed it off a good deal to ensure not clipping during recording. Im not sure what else to do at this point cause I got what I got and unless they wanna retrack the gtrs Im assed out.

Thanks for the heads up....

On a side note, you may wanna consider repurchasing your domain name before you link to it in your sig, John ;)

as discussed in some older threads, i have never seen my x-amp's clip light on.
i do have signal loss in my reamping chain - but my guess is, that everyone here has it.
some people boost their di track with the converter's out (fireface-higain out) and some use a tubescreamer or other stompboxes (mxr-microamp) to get the gain back to the amp.
recording a hot di track, so that you do not hear a difference between direct or reamped guitar seems unlikely to me.

all statements apply to the x-amp - don't know about the other boxes.

btw, i use logic, as well - maybe we are the only fucked ones here :lol:!!!

I was in those threads alexrookie is referring to. I have never had the X-Amp Clip LED on either. As a test, I recorded a DI and then reamped it with the X-amp back into my interface and it was at a lower level. I then reamped it with the Fader set at 4.5 and achieved a similar level as the original DI (5 on the fader may have been better). Anyway, as mentioned most use a TS to boost anyway, so I don't think it is a real problem. I use Cubase and the DI track is a mono track with it's "Out" set as either a "stereo out" panned hard one way or set as a "Left" or "Right" of a "stereo out" with no panning option (using the appropriate Line Out).

DI

Reamped DI (4.5 on Fader)

NOTE: Might be some nude bits on the picture page if you click the thumbnail, maybe NSFW.

I can't get mine to clip either, but that's normal cause I'm not using a console or any other device to boost the gain after the output of the DA....the Output of the DA can maximal be 0dB....that doesn't cause the X-Amp ligt to flash though.
.....an the gain is still insufficient (converter set to +4dB) to reamp with the same volume an amp would see with a directly connected guitar.

I've set my converters to "highgain" that way the signal I feed into the x-Amp is a few dB hotter and enough to drive the amp like a guitar would, I'll adjust the DI track's volume in the DAW then to match the direct guitar-->amp -volume.

the trimpot on my X-Amp is ALWAYS dimed.

with the converters set to "highgain" (RME) it is possible to clip the X-Amp, but it won't happen if you just match the direct/reamped levels....
I never check the light or change anything on my X-Amp.....I'm using the DAW's gain only.

but yeah, if you're using the standard +4dB out on your Converters and no Console or other analog device to increase the gain after the converter, the signal will not be hot enough for the X-Amp to drive the Amp like the direct guitar would (from my experience)

So If I have a DI track (hot but not clipping) and I send it out of my interface at 100% volume (ont he interface) to an X-Amp, hooked into an amp, the sound will not be like plugging a guitar into an amp?

If that's the case, it seems like my Boss Multiefefcts pedal is a better re-amper

I don't see why any boost would be necessary for a properly designed re-amper.

Nice

So I am indeed right? Even with interface output on 100% it is not the same level as a guitar? I wanted a better re-amping solution as my effects pedal colors the sound a bit, but what's the point if the level is low? heh