Radial Tech "X-AMP" First Impressions

Glenn Fricker

Very Metal &Very Bad News
Mar 6, 2005
22 Acacia Avenue
Here's my first foray into the world of Reamping. I picked up the Radial Technologies "X-AMP" reamp box today, and I've just completed a short battery of tests. Synopsis: This is a fucking cool little box.

I've had this thing on order for about 3 weeks. You'd figure that a Canadian manufacturer would be quick to fill Canadian orders, but hey, stranger things have happened. Radial is famous for making fantastic direct boxes. The X-AMP is thier first offering to go the other way.... and given thier repuation, I thought I'd try 'em out.

Pulling the unit out of the box, I'm surprised by just how heavy this little bastard is. I'm guessing there's some heavy duty transformers in there... overall this thing feels like it was built like a tank. Always a good sign.

Connection is straight forward enough: Connect a balanced out from your soundcard (RME Fireface 800 here) to the XLR input on the X-AMP. Connect a quarter inch cable to your amp & fire it up. I was smart enough (one of the rare occasions) to record dry guitar tracks on my last album project. Some quick routing in SawStudio & the RME matrix & we're rocking. The first thing I did was engage the "ground lift" button to kill a really annoying buzz. Boom, gone, end of problem. Damn, if the rest of life was this easy...

Anyway, the output of the X-AMP has a level control & a little LED for 'clipping.' What I found really interesting was that no matter how hot a singal I threw at it, I simply could not get it to clip at all. Wow, to me, THAT is impressive.

Gain staging was easy. Set the output fader running to the X-AMP to 0, set the X-AMP's out to full, & the amp growls away. I mean, seriously, this was just too easy. Backing the X-AMP's output knob off felt like turning down your guitar's volume pot. Simple.

Overall, I'm really impressed by this little box. At $220 CDN, it's a steal. I have a feeling it's going to save my ass more than once in the future. What a great piece of gear.

-0z-

I'm modding the DI I built a while back this week into a reamp, should be fun to mess around with. It's got a pretty good Lundahl Transformer in it and sounds better as a DI than all the DI's I've used. Cost me around $100 Canadian for the parts.

I'v got the X-AMP for a while now the thing works great!
It has two seperate, balanced, outputs. One electr. and a transformer.
So it's a splitter so it can drive two amps.
Did'nt use it often tough, try to get the sound right before recording!

I'm sure the Little Labs box is fantastic in it's own right. I was just surprised by the X-AMP's simplicity: how easy it is to setup & get things rocking.

Another vote for the X-amp being amazing. I really don't know how I worked without it. It's cheap, built like a tank, and doesn't degrade the sound. I own the little labs IBP box as well, and I still use the x-amp for reamping, mostly because of it's simplicity.

>>Does anyone know where I could get this box or Little Labs Red Eye in London? My friend is going to England next week.
>I live in London and don't know of anywhere to buy either item without ordering them.

I ordered my Red Eye from KMR Audio. A friend of mine went to school with the bloke who set that up, and at some point last year when I was in Barnet he pointed out their shop to me (which is marginally South of Barnet in Whetstone). I have no idea whether they carry such items in stock, but that's where I'd try first.

If you're coming from out of town, be aware that Whetstone and Barnet are a fair old hike on the tube - you'd probably be best to allow a minimum of a couple of hours for the round trip from Central London and back again.

No nooise introduction at all? 60 cycle? I think I am going to have to look further into buying one of these.