Reamping with Firepod -need help!

May 17, 2007
Germany
www.facebook.com
so I got me the Radial RMP Pro and thought I could finally reamp. well, it aint working...
This is what I want to do:

git - firepod instr. input (DI) - line output(trs balanced) - Radial RMP - amp - fx send - firepod

(or

how to route the DI signal to the amp for normal reamping)

The problem is, I`m not getting any, like NO FUCKIN signal to my amp. DI works, but then... somebody here told me this would work(reamp thread..)!
I really wasn`t planning on buying a DI box too...

make sure the cable from the firepod to the reamp box is balanced. that's propably the case here.

wait a sec., I just realized smth.! is it not possible to monitor while reamping? I mean, that would be bullshit! this is why I bought the fuckin thing. I was planning on hearing the mix through my monitors and then reamping at the same time, so I could play around with the amp settings while the song is playing and I`m hearing it!? Or do all the major producers sit there with their headphones reamping??
managed to reamp now. I used the cue out. but why doesnt the output from the instr. input work?

ok, so I htink its a software related routing problem. can somebody send me a template for cubase sx3 and firepod. how do I have to set up the output bussus in cubase? if I send a track to output mono 1, its actually output nr.3 on the firepod ?? this is getting confusing...

so I tried splitting the guitar signal with a boss stomp box with two outputs. I get nasty noise! should I get a AB-Splitter or a DI Box, or does it work with the firepod somehow, without splitter? DI box wouldn`t be that good, because I don`t think DI-Box -> firpod DI-box or firepod mic pre would be a good idea. (or can I use the line input for this?)

so I tried splitting the guitar signal with a boss stomp box with two outputs. I get nasty noise! should I get a AB-Splitter or a DI Box, or does it work with the firepod somehow, without splitter? DI box wouldn`t be that good, because I don`t think DI-Box -> firpod DI-box or firepod mic pre would be a good idea. (or can I use the line input for this?)

Is your firepod properly installed and recognized? If you want to reamp, your line-out send should be 3 through 8 being that 1 and 2 are being tied up with your main stereo out. Press F4 in cubase to get to your connections menu. Go to outputs and create a mono out bus for line-out 3. Go to your DI channel and set its output to mono out 3. Then all you have to do is press play and Bob's your uncle. You can play everything at once while you're recording the new amp track and you can monitor by hitting the monitor button on the new amp recording's channel, or by adjusting the mix knob on the firepod to taste between input and playback.

HAHAHAHA; I GOT IT BABY!! IT FUCKING WORKS!!
1 DI track, 1 fx send track and 1 mic track ALL AT ONCE!! YEAH!!!
and reamp the DI one..., works perfekt. couldn`t tell a difference at all!
ok, I think I got it all covered now.

except the monitoring... when recording all those tracks at once, my only possibility for zero latency monitoring is the "mix" knob on the firepod. ok, but the problem is that you actually just wanna monitor the mic`d track, not the fuzzy oder DI one. so, that`s not gonna work that way. And then there`s monitoring in cubase.., well thats got latency. and I`m using a laptop, and not getting under 20ms so forget that...
anyone..?
but hey, thanks for your answer m8 ;-)

Reamping with the firepod is SOOOO easy:

Take one of the line outs (the extra ones not the main ones).
For your purpose you need a TRS to XLR cable.
In cubase make sure you have the extra outputs enabled.
On the DI track set the output to mono (whatever you have the TRS cable plugged into)
Plug in some mics,
Set the gain,
Hit play and set the trim.

To monitor do it by turning the mixer knob, don't do it via the software unless you have an amazing computer and can run your latency at 512 or lower (512 being the highest you can go) and have very few plug ins running. If you have alot of processing going on there is more of a likely hood that your cpu will spike and it will fuck up your reamping.

Also with the outputs:

On my firepod apparently (FOR SOME STUPID REASON) line out 1 and line out 2 share the same bus with the master outputs. I haven't bothered to try and fix the problem when reamping out of line out 3 works just as good.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find an interface that doesn't have that situation.
002r is like that. Main out and monitor out are same signal, only Monitor outs have the volume control.

true, my firepod has that as well and it's explained in the manual!

yeah, like I said, got everything now.

@ guitargod: the problem with monitoring is, that I`ll have the di, amp preamp shit sound and the mic sound on the monitors, ..what is not what I want.

but I tried out the asio4all drivers again, since the full version is done now. and guess what!? 4ms(~192 samples) latency without drops etc.!! (cpu setting on firpod is "low")

that`s what I`m talkin bout! so, I guess I`ll be software monitoring.

I find the firepod very buggy (probl. only with laptops..). it often doesn`t connect properly at the first attempt, but I always get it running somehow. and yes, I have a firewire card with TI-chip (and internal with via). and tried drivers etc. , well, thats a other story. but what I`m trying to say, is that the asio4all drivers just kick butt!