OUT : nuendo > fireface out > radial pro rmp (level max) > amp

the reamp sound loose lot of dynamic , presence etc

i've got an little little extract to show you the difference between
direct and reamp sound

1st the direct and 2e the reamp

http://www.lapinblanc.org/ftpcustom/vetha/rezzzamp.wav

thanks !!

I cant get it to play either.

My di tracks are coming out at -6 peak and hit the ProRmp with the level full up and it sounds great. the x-amp may or may not be better but there's nothing wrong with a pro-rmp or a passive reamp box for that matter. It's going to "lose dynamics" between the di waveform and a tube amp (which I assume you're using), because a distorted tube amp is a compressor.
Try juicing the output up at the daw until you can't tell the difference between plugging direct and reamping.

You can go to nuendo.com and ask them about it, be sure to include that screen shot. They love to help.

I think I remember reading that this is not a good practice. I tried this once but had bad results. X are you sure about that?

No I'm not sure. At the level he's sending (from what I can tell from the pic,which isn't much) and going out at zero it should be fine. So I am at a loss. I'm just saying I record my DI tracks peaking at -6 and send it to the ProRmp with the DAW fader at zero and it's fine. SO..WTF?

I'd look at a bad cord, something in the signal chain. Maybe a dying battery in a tubescreamer? I Don't know. As long as he isn't clipping anything he should be fine

is you using the control room mixer in nuendo aswell? i have to use it to monitor to -6db, or the output is just too loud for sum reason (think its to do with my patch bay and the connectors im using)

However, when reamping, my di tracks are usually around -3db peak, i then send this to the left out of my motu (track totally panned left) and the track, control room, and output faders are all at 0db, so effectively the highest signal hitting my reamp is -3db, and it works fine

I usually set output of DI-track to dedicated mono output channel and don`t use panning.
There can be two problem - insufficient level of DI-track (-3db at peaks is close to optimum).
And coloration from DI-box. But, of course, sound is altered, but I think that in best way :)
File opened and played OK. It is 24 bit stereo so not all players can play it correctly.

I think the reamped track sounds better. Are you looking at the waveform, or listening to it? The differences are negligible. You are going to have some differences because you are ultimately going through two different signal chains, but I wouldnt worry about any differences I am hearing in those clips

I cut these together to see the differences. you've got some phase shift on the top end. I think it's fine really but different yes. I don't know how it couldn't be different with any reamp because you are added an extra path for it to go through.

heres the file
http://www.allcapsrecording.com/rezzzampmix.wav

reamp/amp/reamp/amp/reamp/amp etc.
the editing sucks, but hey I dont have all day here :}

thanks a lot for your advises

i think the reamp sounds like there is a loss in the extreme frequencies and too little gain
in that sample. IMO the sound sounds better in the reamped extract caus' there is too much lows and highs in the sound from the beggining

if someone can post a clip that shows the sound recorded directly and the same guitar sound reamped, it would be great

I use a Radial ProRMP and have ZERO problems with reamping anything through it. I have also used an XAmp before at my last studio job and to be quite honest there isn't much difference...I wouldn't pay that much for an XAmp after owning the ProRMP. I'll see what I can do about a normal track and a reamped track.

~006

As promised...

Reamp test clip. There are two takes, one of them is the mic'ed cab recorded live, the other is the reamped version. I took the DI of the same performance as the mic'ed live take and sent it back into the amp so the playing is identical as well. And for those that care, chain went: EC-1000 EMG-81 -> DI -> Bugera 333 crunch channel -> Mesa oversized 4x12 V30 -> SM57 -> Saffire Pro -> Cubase 4. Used my Radial ProRMP to reamp with.

I bet you can't figure out which one is which, can you? And I didn't do anything special to reamp it, just sent it out of my Saffire's output 1, no turning up the fader, no eq'ing, nothing.

~006

Hmm, that Bugera sounds quite good, and no, I can't tell the difference - good job man, the tone is a bit woofy, but that's easily remedied.

thx a lot for the test :)

i can ear the same kind of difference

IMO the 1st extract have less gain, more boomy
the sound seems to be more "polished"
with the little experience i have
i think it's the reamp one but i prefer this one :)
the second is a little "sharpy" for me

(sorry for my poor english)

Lol you have to be kidding man...there is literally no difference. If you can hear a difference, then you've got some sick ears dude, I've been doing this a long time and I hear nothing differentiating the two clips.

And, for the record, the first clip is the mic'ed live performance, the second is the reamped performance.

~006

Just looked at the picture of your waveforms...the DI's are being recorded too low, they need to peak at like -3dB, the easiest way to set your level for the DI is to play lots of palm muted riffs when adjusting your preamp gain...and use Nuendo's meter on the screen, it will be more accurate. I've been noticing that on my 8Pre it will tell me the signal is clipping on the meters, yet in Cubase it's nowhere near clipping.

And to add...with this thread, I have made an observation. That is, even though I hear absolutely no difference between the live performance and the reamped one, someone is saying they do...however, if there was any kind of difference that I'm just not hearing, it would be so minute that when placed in a mix there would be no way for anyone to tell at all. Which begs the question, who cares?

~006