First attempt at tracking/mixing (help please)

wishtheend

clip the apex
Dec 29, 2005
SL, UT
http://www.myspace.com/thisfailure

It's the first song in the player, I've enabled it for download (since it's actually 192kbps). So this is pretty much my very first attempt at recording and mixing, and obviously I got a long way to go. Looking for any tips on balance, EQ and levels. I kind of slammed the main bus of this and thinking now I shouldn't have. Truth be told, I don't know what a good mix should sound like BEFORE mastering (everything I hear sounds like it's brought up to commercial CD levels).

So yea, kick my ass in the right direction.

Not got time to listen at the moment, but as far as hearing what something sounds like mastered, i always have my mastering plugin on the master bus when i'm tracking/mixing, so i know what the end result will be.

Thanks. The drums are what I'm having a hard time with, especially since I'm trigger a live kit with mics. I have triggers on order which I'm sure will help keep the false triggering to a minimum. Any tips on where vocals should sit in the mix? Thanks again for any tips. I'm going to retrack this song from scratch as soon as my triggers get here.