Advice on mix situation..........

minerman

Jun 5, 2010
Hey guys,
Been lurking here a while, learned tons from you, & try to just keep my mouth shut & learn, but I need some advice from people who have done this sort of thing far longer than I have......

Do you guys that charge for your mixes include the project file? (In my case, Reaper, I know lots of you here use Pro Tools, Cubase, etc.) Or do you just send the final, mixed WAV file??? Thanks in advance!!!!

I think it really depends on what the client wants. I'd never send the actual project file though, only bounced stems, or a blank project with just the audio and no plugins/settings/automation.

He says he lost a "deal" a few years ago, because another guy mixed a song, the label/promoters/whoever wanted a few changes, but the mixing guy had deleted it. I did a mix for him a couple months ago, to show him how/what/why I do my mixes, but again, not sure whether to send the project file or not. He is paying for this mix (not much though, I'm still learning myself).....Maybe someone else can chime in (like Ermz) that does this a lot. Thanks for the reply!!!

I just wonder if the guys who do this for a living include the project files, or what.....Thanks again!!!

I just wonder if the guys who do this for a living include the project files, or what.....Thanks again!!!

There was a decent size thread about this a while ago and the general consensus, including the opinions of many people mixing for a living, was what has been stated already: that the client is paying you for a mix and you deliver that in a stereo wav file, or under special request, stem mixes. And if they request the project file, you give it to them audio only.

I think the general idea from the thread was to preserve your work. You dont want a client to open up the project file with all your work in the open and have them start tweaking things (most likely for the worse) and then bounce down a new final version. And also for the more skilled mixers, you dont want the client to make presets of your work and preset mix their future work from that session (it wouldnt sound as good because it wouldnt fit the song, and if they wanted a mix that sounded like you mixed it, they should have you mix it!). There may have been a few other reasons, but bottom line is that they are hiring you to mix a song and you deliver them the mix of the song.