Mixing problems...any advice?

::XeS::

Mar 30, 2005
Italy
www.myspace.com
HI
I have always a problem with my mixes....they sound boxy, close and in your face (in the wrong way)...
I mean...my favourite productions are made by Tue Madsen and they are big, punchy as hell, very open...exactly the opposite from mine :D
I tried to add more ambient to the drums (dfhs), to add reverb in the various parts (snare, ambient, kick, toms, oh, all togheter), I usually use compression on snare, toms, bass, vocals (not at random...I make all my experiments)..
NOTHING help me.
I've been using dfhs for 2years ago but I can't get a "pro" sound like Bulb for example...maybe because I think it's a real drums when I'm mixing...

Do you have some advice/tricks (also books) to help me to have more air/3d sensation on tmy mixes?

Probably it's a stupid question...but I need to learn. :loco:

This reminds me how much I suck. I'd love to be able to make things sound that good!

Mind you, I am only listening on headphones, but that sounds really tight and punchy. I don't really have much advice to offer though, I'm not sure why you want more ambience.

Joe

Hey, i would check the panning laws and preferences on whatever program you are using. That can make a huge difference in how "close" and "far" away something can sound.

Hey, i would check the panning laws and preferences on whatever program you are using. That can make a huge difference in how "close" and "far" away something can sound.
Not wanting to sound like an ass but dude! Com'on, first post, first bullshit?
Panning laws just make panning more or less convenient depending on your tastes, this has nothing to do with depth perception. Pan laws are just about level, nothing else.

I thought the mix sounded pretty dam good. Ive been having the same problem were i hate my mixes compared to others. Ive also struggled with having my mix seem as wide as others also and the depth and in your face. I just can not get to were you can hear each track perfect and were it just sits so perfect. I'm basically having the same problem you are though and have no advice but honestly your mix sounds pretty pro dude!

I think a lot of the "clarity" in pro mixes comes from higher quality preamps that give a better image of the sound which in mixing would translate to a cleaner, more defined sound. Add that with the fact that they're tracking in great rooms with great mics and I would imagine that it would be way easier to mix that shit than polish the turds we come up with in our bedrooms!

Also, that doesn't mean one shouldn't try to reach or even surpass the sonic quality heard in "pro" mixes. As far as I see it, the only difference between a "pro" and "amateur" mix is that the "pro" is being produced and distributed by all kinds of people for a widely released product, whereas one of our mixes is just limited release or whatever. I've heard some seriously shitty "pro" mixes so sonic quality can't be the only factor!

I think the mix has the same problems you hear in many DM mixes. I know people are so used to this sound they actually think its good but it really not that good. The drums have Zero depth. It sounds like someone is tapping some drumsticks off my forehead and the singer is actually behind the drums in the mix. That turns the sense of depth on its head to the listener. The other problem is the arrangments. Its the same progression on every song. The same old riffs repeating themselves. I know exactly what Im gonna hear everytime I click someones link.

You really have to work harder in this genre because in traditional music you have a unique voice, covering a larger scale(from lows to highs,) to add a sense of individuality. But with DM its this yelling sound that always in the same frequency range. Coupled with this repeating low E chomping and double kicks--its a recipe for boredom after a while. I think if people would study some of the other genre's for their sonics and forget trying to copy DM's mix footprint..this stuff would start to sound exciting. BTW..please understand this is a view from the outside looking in..please dont take offence, its just my opinion. There are some awesome mixes in DM but IMO the mixes people are posting up on forums sound like someone is doing an impression of a mix.

The mix is not boxy though. I dont know what your hearing when you desribe it like that. Boxiness is when you hear an abundance of short lowmid room reflections. If you mean the mix lacks depth...that makes sense but its not called boxiness. I would try and experiment with different room sounds. Print them to their own separate tracks and play around with their levels in the mix as well trying some drastic eq's on them so they add depth but dont wash out the tight sound this song needs.

if your room is not treated properly don't expect anything, if you want to mix you just have to treat your room.

you will only sound as good as your room allows, its physics man, you can't beat it. only if your JBroll, he is made of pure energy, soo.....

what is your monitoring chain like?
are your monitors positioned and calibrated properly?

before i used any treatment i could not mix if my life depended on it. everything turned out like shit.

once your have the basics of monitoring down, everything is much easier come mixing time.

Boxyness come from the excess of midrange and most people just add lots of top and low end to compensate that sound, however you end up with a really harsh and thin result.
Like i always say, CUT before BOOSTING.

A V shaped curve can be seen from two sides, one that was boosted on both extremes, and the other one had just a cut in the middle. The last one will surely sound more natural, since the top and low end are mostly intact, and you hear it more "bright" since there is less midrange in game. Think of it like a relative thing
If you use this concept from your mixes I can assure you they will get only better.
Boost when you feel something is missing ;)

Hope it helps

Cheers

i dont want to get into a genre thing but the clip i just listened too is no way death metal or black metal. i know someone up above kept saying something about DM mixes but i wouldn't mix this like a death metal band.....but i agree there something weird but also cool going on with the drums

Your mix sounds awesome, I don't hear any boxiness at all, as mentioned before, maybe some more reverb would be nice. I have similar problems. My mixes don't sound thick enough, so I take off all the reverb and add more bottom and low mids, but then it sounds too muddy so I try adding some more presence and that makes it too sharp sounding. I always end up just taking a break and listening to it in my car, then I know for sure how bad it really is.