Drum question + mastodon

Gaspard

Aug 1, 2007
Paris, FRANCE
I've been listening lately to the last mastodon album from a producer's point of view and the drums really sound smashing ! I don't thing they were triggered because during the recording session i didnt see the little red ddrum pickups but maybe drumagog was used...

DO I have to use samples to get a good drum sound ? cause my mixes sound like shit...

Is there a metal drum mixing 101 somewhere here ?

Anyone here uses DFHS that can give me tips (settings, fader etc...)

THANX !

man, i was driving around just today rocking blood mountain, and thinking to myself "damn, these drums sounds AWESOME!!!"

however, if there was any simple response to how they got that sound, we'd all be making a killing doing this shit....

yeh blood moutain is a great album......i can almost beat there are no samples used at all.....i dont think Brann is a fan of them.....And when you are that good of drummer who needs samples......I dont think it would be possible to trigger that dudes snare .....It would never work....that dude does soooo much snare work......it would be a pain thats for sure

yea no crap

i was sitting in my car earlier today thinking "how in the hell would i program drums to sound like this fuckin' guy?"

and then my next thought was "fucking impossible!"

for sum reason ive been listening to blood mountain alot again recently and im positive that those are natural drum tones. even on the making of dvd im pretty sure you dont hear any sample replacement. and like has been mentioned, his style of playing is soo jazzy hes all over that kit and would be a triggering/replacement nightmare!! great record!!

That's terribly hard to believe, i mean, you can't get a kick to sound this way without compressing it, maybe the board they recorded it in was compressing as the drums were played...

but...NO COMPRESSION ?? wow

they could've also just used parallel compression...take all of the drum tracks, leave them unaffected, and buss them out to a comp/limiter that's set to crush

they also likely used more than 1 mic on not only the snare, but kick and toms as well, which would help cut through the mix sans compression

BLASPHEMY!!

honestly though, mastodon have to be seen live to be appreciated...they're about the only band whose live sounds just flat-out blows the doors off of their albums

I seriously don't get this band at all.

Vocalist sounds terrible.
Nothing is tight.
Guitar tone is whooly.

Just no good.

hmmm, yeah your WAY tighter than mastodon guitarists and matt bayles production is shit compared to yours mr guitarGOD......... :worship:

It's your opinion but come on... I'm listening to your stuff right now and it's like a thousand times more sloppy than mastodon.. I would not say anything if you were truly an awesome guitarist that can do better, but obviously you're not and you say that these guys are not tight!!..... And please don't tell me that you dial a better guitar tone than matt bayles.... cause again, judging from your production you can't...

But yeah that's my opinion, no offense... but seriously, I think that if you can't do better you shouldn't say something like that....

hmmm, yeah your WAY tighter than mastodon guitarists and matt bayles production is shit compared to yours mr guitarGOD......... :worship:

It's your opinion but come on... I'm listening to your stuff right now and it's like a thousand times more sloppy than mastodon.. I would not say anything if you were truly an awesome guitarist that can do better, but obviously you're not and you say that these guys are not tight!!..... And please don't tell me that you dial a better guitar tone than matt bayles.... cause again, judging from your production you can't...

But yeah that's my opinion, no offense... but seriously, I think that if you can't do better you shouldn't say something like that....

Whoa whoa whoa, no need to make things personal dude, all he said was that he didn't like the band, that doesn't mean you have to rip on him for it. Grow up a little...

The point is, you get mastodon or not.

Metal purist won't like the grungy and stonery side of mastodon, but there an whole atmosphere that goes with the band, and the way they sing, the way they growl, the guitars sound great IMO.

But BTW this thead was about the drum sound, so your post had nothing to do with the issue.

And BTW I kick your as at guitar guitargod. j/k:loco: (but not really)