Drum question + mastodon

Sludge Metal is sloppy in a way, for tight riffs there are bands like Meshuggah, in term of sound. Mastodon's music is tight, to me, the riffs are in sync as are the drums..
Well, I was listening to Blood Mountain recently and there is something that I haven't figured out yet about the mix: did Matt Bayles use sidechaining or automation? or both? :p
The rythm guitars seem to drop or be louder here and there, when vocals, solos or synths are playing, or not.

I seriously don't get this band at all.

Which is fine. I, however, think they are purely brilliant.

Vocalist sounds terrible.
Nothing is tight.
Guitar tone is whooly.

Which vocalist? Just because what they do is different doesn't exactly mean it's terrible. I actually think it's cool because they aren't doing vocals the same as everyone else.

Nothing is tight? You must not have listened to much of thier material. They are more technically adept (while being unique, and not just playing the same old harmonized diminished scales that we hear most of the time) and tighter than most bands I've ever seen. Listen to:
"Capillarian Crest" @ around 1:05
"Bladecatcher" (whole song)
Those are just a couple of examples. I don't know where you get that they aren't tight.

What the fuck does that mean, thier guitar tone sounds "whooly"? Just because it's not the most brutal crushing modern guitar tone doesn't mean it doesn't cut just as heavy as the rest. Thier setups are simple and sound more classic than most newer bands out there, and they make it work. I wish I could get a similar sound out of my rig just because its not easy.

Just no good.

Compared to what? You are entitled to an opinion, but throwing such comments just makes you look like a bigot.

Jesus, what is it with Mastodon that makes their fans so sensitive that they get bent all bent outta shape from one hater? o_O

It's just pissing us off how people think that there must be a standard in the way metal should sound.

Whatever...

I can believe that the drums have no compression..

For the guitar question, they just seem to have really heavey guitars come in (mesa boogie) to make them louder and then they take em off when they want a softer sound...

:lol:

Yeah guys it's just my opinion. Holly shit sandwitch. :lol:

Anyhow, I am referencing them in regards to their live stuff. Their studio album sounds good, different but good. I have only heard Leviathan so maybe I am premature in my judgment.

But both live and that album I can't stand his voice AT ALL, sounds like a dirtier Project 86 (although I do like that band, great bass tone) without the rap. :puke:

I also can't stand the guitar tone it's just way over distorted there is not definition at all. It sounds like a line 6 spider with the metal model on and the gain dimed. Again just don't like that sound. :lol:

I also just can't seem to get into the arrangements I have given them a good listen and just can't get into it.

Anyhow to each their own. Thanks for the entertaining thread though guys. :lol:

Anyways in my own defense the myspace page everyone was referencing in this thread (thanks for visiting) only has my playing on the MSI OIn it remix. I'll be the first to say yes I am not that good at all. My screen name is backed by nothing, it doesn't really mean much :lol. Also in my defense that remix was done in a few hours so the guitar playing is bound to be a little loose.

It was a suggestion when I put in "guitar" in AIM so I rolled with it.

I have only heard Leviathan so maybe I am premature in my judgment.

eh...leviathan is worst release they've had thus far

seriously, do yourself a favor and check out blood mountain. that album is an f'ing masterpiece, and that's not a word i throw around lightly...

..Well, I was listening to Blood Mountain recently and there is something that I haven't figured out yet about the mix: did Matt Bayles use sidechaining or automation? or both? :p
The rythm guitars seem to drop or be louder here and there, when vocals, solos or synths are playing, or not.

is it OT?? ;)

You know why the drums sound so good? because they're not sampled. I must be mad but 8 times out of 10 I think sampled drums are worse than the real deal, even if it means a compromise of punch or clarity.

ok...here it goes......i can listen to them....and you're right they are different from the norm....but the drummer on some of the early stuff was all over the place, a little to wild for me.

hmmm, yeah your WAY tighter than mastodon guitarists and matt bayles production is shit compared to yours mr guitarGOD......... :worship:

It's your opinion but come on... I'm listening to your stuff right now and it's like a thousand times more sloppy than mastodon.. I would not say anything if you were truly an awesome guitarist that can do better, but obviously you're not and you say that these guys are not tight!!..... And please don't tell me that you dial a better guitar tone than matt bayles.... cause again, judging from your production you can't...

But yeah that's my opinion, no offense... but seriously, I think that if you can't do better you shouldn't say something like that....
You're an idiot and your opinion counts for nothing. He didn't say you couldn't like it.