Advice on secondary home theater....

Harvester

The Promoter
Sep 16, 2001
www.progpowerusa.com
Plasma tv & blue-ray player in place.

Want to add a 2.1 audio system (with/without receiver pending necessity).

Not looking for the best, just something adequate for the smaller room.

Budget- Keep it under $500.

Suggestions?

I would recommend this:

http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/hd-theater-300-overview

I know you said you wanted a 2.1 system, but this is well under your budget and it is a good system. I know of 2 people that has this and they both love it. Very good sound for a mid size room.

For a 2.1 system, you could check out this:

http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/promedia-2-1-overview

I am getting this one for my daughter for Christmas for her laptop and i-pod. It works with a tv too as long as it has a headphone output or a line level output. I haven't heard this one yet, personally. But I don't think she will be disappointed with it.

Yeah, I am loyal to Klipsch. I have used them for years now and have never had any issue with them what so ever.

Yeah, I am loyal to Klipsch. I have used them for years now and have never had any issue with them what so ever.

Steve - is this you under a different nickname? :lol::lol:

Seriously, I would agree about Klipsch. SkiBumMSP (aka Steve - a regular poster on here) has a great Klipsch setup. I would recommend it in a heartbeat. The sound quality is phenomenal. Well worth every penny! :headbang:

This is exactly what I would be looking for. However, the problem I see is that there is not an HDMI input connection (for your Blue Ray Player). It only has video component input. I would think I would lose quite a bit going that route?

audior.jpg

You may want to skip getting a HTIB. Possibly get one of last years low-end models refurbished from Denon, Harman Kardon, or Marantz authorized dealers.

The Marantz Sr5002 in particular is a pretty a good system. Upgradable to a 7.1 if you ever want it and has 3 in, 1 out HDMI. Does audio HDMI as well. Check out Accessories4Less for Marantz receivers.
Check out the Energy C-50 bookshelf speakers. WWStereo has them for $45 each.

Other models to look at are the HK 247, Denon 788, and Marantz 4001 which are a bit cheaper.

Plasma tv & blue-ray player in place.

Want to add a 2.1 audio system (with/without receiver pending necessity).

Not looking for the best, just something adequate for the smaller room.

Budget- Keep it under $500.

Suggestions?

Like you, I'm looking for a 2.1 or 3.1 solution, and I don't need a receiver or a disc player. Have you considered getting a sound bar? That's what I'm planning on doing, although I haven't researched them a whole lot yet. They are nice and compact, and from what I understand, they sound as good as a comparable set of standalone speakers.

For some examples, these are the ones that Best Buy sells. I was thinking of checking out the Sony Bravia 3.1 bar next time I'm out looking.

Code:
For some examples, these are the ones that Best Buy sells. I was thinking of checking out the Sony Bravia 3.1 bar next time I'm out looking.

The Polk sound bar sounds pretty good. Not near the same quality as any of their 5.1 systems though. The main downside to that is you are limited with speaker placement. I like to have the ability to adjust the speaker location to my liking.

It seems like for guys though, we are never complacent with what we have. Going the route of the receiver and satellites make it easier to upgrade if/when you get the urge to do so.

Everybody has their own taste. Either route you decide to go with, it will definitely be a noticeable improvement.

Glenn check this one out, this one is awesome

Polk Audio AM1805-A SurroundBar SDA Instant Home Theater (Black)

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-AM1805-SurroundBar-Instant/dp/B001QCYHXC/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1259796187&sr=8-5[/ame]

Somebody else preaching the Klipsch gospel! :kickass:

Just out of curiosity, what type of Klipsch setup are you sporting. Also, if you have not seen it, check out the Klipsch forum as well.

For me, I got a full Reference 7 rig, with B&K and Denon gear fronting it.

Of course, I would also second the Klipsch setups. However, those soundbars are pretty convenient though. I do recall hearing a Yamaha soundbar a little while back at the local Tweeter store (before that chain ended up biting it :cry:), and thought it sounded quite good. However, I don't recall the exact model, but I do recall it was something like $1,200, though.

But on the flipside, don't even get me started on Bose. Talk about overpriced junk!

But on the flipside, don't even get me started on Bose. Talk about overpriced junk!

In fairness, their "stage PA" slender tower speakers seem to do a pretty decent job, for around $3k as I recall. Enough power to fill a mid-sized ballroom but with an amazingly small footprint. My friends' band Emerald Rose uses them for many of their gigs and also donates them for use on "my" acoustic stage at Dragon*Con, and they've worked well.

Somebody else preaching the Klipsch gospel!

Just out of curiosity, what type of Klipsch setup are you sporting. Also, if you have not seen it, check out the Klipsch forum as well.

I have had the Quintet for several years now. I originally had the KSW-10 sub and was pushing it with a Denon receiver. Through lessons learned about the value of quality surge protection equipment, I had to replace the sub with a SW-450 and am currently using the Sony receiver that I had downstairs. I have a mid-size room and the Setup I have fills it quite nicely.
I have a cousin that has the RF-62 set up with Marantz gear. Talk about amazing sound.

I have had the Quintet for several years now. I originally had the KSW-10 sub and was pushing it with a Denon receiver. Through lessons learned about the value of quality surge protection equipment, I had to replace the sub with a SW-450 and am currently using the Sony receiver that I had downstairs. I have a mid-size room and the Setup I have fills it quite nicely.
I have a cousin that has the RF-62 set up with Marantz gear. Talk about amazing sound.

Oh yeah, those RF-62s are some great speakers. I've heard a pair while at the Klipsch headquarters in Indianapolis a couple of summers ago, and was quite impressed. I don't recall exactly what they used to power them. I think it was a Denon receiver if memory serves me. And just this past summer, got to listen to a pair of $20,000/pair Klipsch Palladium speakers. WOW!! Friggan awesome but pretty damn expensive as well!

For me, I've got RF-7s up front, with RC-7 both in center front and center rear, with a pair of RS-7s and a Pair of RF-5s for side surrounds (in an A/B configuration), in addition to two subs, a REL Storm III and a Klipsch RW-12d. I am using a Denon receiver as a pre/pro, but using a B&K Reference 200.7 amplifier to actually power the system. Needless to say, if I crank it up, even the neighbors will know what I am listening to (I hope they like Sonata Arctica! :heh: ) The sound of this rig is just phenomenal - the clarity and dynamics are just incredible. And about the surge protection - oh yeah. That is why I have a Panamax power conditioner.

Like I said, you ought to check out the Klipsch forum whenever you get a chance.

Check you local BestBuy for a clearance Klipsch 2.1 system. My best buy has what once was a $ 800.00 2.1 system marked down to $ 319.00. It has a dvd/receiver unit that accepts HDMI components and wireless sub. I may head back tomorrow to pick it up as I too am looking for a 2.1 solution for my secondary tv room. If I do, I will come back here with the model number.

Check you local BestBuy for a clearance Klipsch 2.1 system. My best buy has what once was a $ 800.00 2.1 system marked down to $ 319.00. It has a dvd/receiver unit that accepts HDMI components and wireless sub. I may head back tomorrow to pick it up as I too am looking for a 2.1 solution for my secondary tv room. If I do, I will come back here with the model number.

Are you talking about the CS-500 system?

If you could grab up one of those for that kind of price, that is an excellent deal. Those things actually retailed for $1,000 brand-new when they first came out!

I've actually listened to one of those things myself (as well as the more expensive CS-700). They completely blow away the similar Bose 3-2-1 setup, yet are nearly the same size (maybe slightly larger).