Advice on sound treatment?

guitarguru777

Nov 13, 2003
Las Vegas
www.jasonconstantine.com
I am not even sure where to begin on sound treatment for a room. I have been mixing in the following room. Green is the position of the desk and the listening position.

studio_layout.jpg

I have some Auralex foam under my monitors bu other then that I am not sure what else would be needed in the room. I have alot of issues hearing highs and low mids properly.

What do you feel are good DIY solutions to keep getting the room as good as possible for under $500

^^ Agreed, I would definitely be looking at bass traps in the corners near the window and the closet.

A shame it wouldn't be practical to have the desk facing the length of the room, instead of the width.

You'll want to put bass traps straddling any corners you can, it's not really clear from the diagram where you can put them. First reflection points should be covered as well.

Control the mid and high freqs on all walls and bass in all corners for a room like that. If you can add a cloud that will assist with counteracting the positioning of your desk in the room.

ok so lets discuss ....

I have about $1000 to spend on sound treatment and a Re-amp box, so right off the bat that leaves me $800 for sound proofing. can you guys reccomend some good bass traps. GC has an Auralex set that includes 6 Bass Traps, 24 Acoustic Tiles, 2 Monitor Pads (which I already have) for $169.99 (on sale this week)

* 6- 1' LENRD bass traps
* 24- 1'x1'x1" X11 Studiofoam panels
* 2- MoPAD SE Monitor Isolator pads (I per speaker)
* 2- Tubes of Tubetak Pro Liquid adhesive
* Insstruction guide

Budget dude ... budget, home studio :) :p

If I could afford to have a company come in and do it I would. The other issue is its apartment, and it cant be 100% permanent. It needs to be able to go up, but easily be taken down when I decide to buy my house.

Screw auralex. Locate lots of OC703 or alternative, get building frames out 100mmx18mm (or similar) planks and put the OC703 in them, then cover with fabric. Make them as thick as possible (2 slabs of OC703 in each or more) and you'll have traps which are MUCH more effective than auralex and are also cheaper.

If you suck at DIY most places will cut the planks down to size for you, then all you need is lots of right angle brackets, screws, a drill, a screwdriver and a staple gun for the fabric. Even simpler still, you could just buy readybags if you're beyond terrible at DIY.

As mentioned treating the back corners with traps is the first place I would start. I have 15 traps on my mix room (30 by 16 feet) and I found that spacing the 2 by 4 foot 4 inch oc703 traps at certain positions around the room worked best for taming the peaks and nulls in the 300 hz and below range. Leave 4 inches between the wall and the traps for the best performance. You might want to experiment with trap placement to deal with problem frequencies. Using an SPL meter located at your mix position you can run some simple tests from 40 up to 300 hz to see where you get the best results based on the position of the traps.