Need room treatment advice

melovine

Feb 10, 2009
I currently have zero sound treatment in my mixing room(bed room) and I'm looking to invest in something that will improve my mixing results.

It seems like room treatment would be the best choice seeing as I have none. My question is would it be smarter to build 2" x 4" bass traps with wood frames and insulation or to go with the aurlex lernd System.

I'm assuming bass traps would be more beneficial than any other form of treatment at the point

Any suggestions?

Would this be a better choice than the aurlex lernd system?

not sure, I would say its probably pretty comparable because most people use 703 in their studios. I also believe in the principle that you can build it just as well for half the price i.e. studio desks marked up to 3 grand that you would build for 400 dollars

Are you familiar with what Owens Corning 703 is?

OC703 is a rigid fiberglass insulation board that works extremely well as far as a bass trap application.

images

Aurlex is obviously a dense foam where its only use is acoustic treatment. However it is much more expensive per square foot than OC703

Google DIY bass traps and you will know everything there is to know about it

The Auralex "bass traps" are basically useless for the purpose they are named for. Just get some 703 or similar and make them yourself. It's not difficult and it will perform better than Auralex foam "traps". Not to mention it's cheaper to make them yourself than to buy pre-made ones.

Ok so I did some research and I'm looking at picking up (4) GIK 244 bass traps for the corners of my room, I priced it out and shipped it would be 330, which is in my budget. I would build them my self but I have a dog and I am concerned about my lack of craftsmanship resulting in stray insulation around the house over time. Does this seem like a good deal or even the route I need to take?

Take precautions - work outside, clean thoroughly, keep everything wrapped up until needed, watch out where the dog goes* - and you can do it pretty cleanly. Besides, if you do them properly, even moving the traps probably won't lift off any fibers. Building them yourself saves a pretty penny and is fun (at least it was to me!). Although, GIK traps look snazzy and .. "professional"!

* don't you eat that yellow snow!

Feel free to contact the guy from GIK and talk to him about it. He (and other experts) are frequently on gearslutz. I believe (if I remember right) I recall one of them stating that you won't notice a difference until around 25% of your room is treated. While some treatment is better than none, not sure if just 4 panels will make much difference. I've got about 15 panels just like that in my room and I still don't think I'm done bass trapping. If you'd like to accrue panels over time, go for it. Just as long as you're aware that you can build about 25 traps for like $400.