Advice on this mix / tone

guitarguru777

Nov 13, 2003
Las Vegas
www.jasonconstantine.com
I have been recording a friend of mines tunes and wanted to see what you all thought and get some advice on the mix and guitar tone.

The drums on this track were done using NI Battery. The kick and snare are Andys samples (the 1st ones he posted) The toms are the Chimira toms, and the hats, cymbals, and ride are from DKFH, I had a friend sample some of those for me.

2 of the guitar tracks were recorded using a Late 70s Lawsuit Les Paul with 13 gauge strings and stock pickups into a Peavey Valve King. The valve king was hooked up to a 120 watt Marshall MG 4x12 with the Celestion / Marshall 30 watt speakers. These were panned hard left and right. The other 2 guitar tracks were recorded with the same amp and cab setup but using a Washburn Dime with a floyd and a Duncan JB in the bridge. Those were panned 80% on each side.

The cab was mice'd with an Audix i5. The mic was fed into a mini Sound Craft 4ch mixer. Which was fed directly to the PC input. unfortunately we dont have anything like a firepod or decent mic pre.

The bass was done with a 4 string low end Ibanez bass run direct. I used Guitar rig 2 with a Mesa Recto model and a 4x10 vintage cab setting on the red channel just for some grit. Then used the Waves MAXXBass plugin to find a nice frequency to fit along side the guitar and kick drum.

In the end I added a loudness maximizer on the entire mix using Isotope Ozone. None of the instruments have any effects. Everything is dry minus whatever effects were already on the drum samples.

please let me know what you think of the mix and especially the guitar tone.

You can find the .wav file at http://www.jasoncohenitservices.com/mixes

Just addded an MP3 at 192 to the same directory for those of you who dont want to d/l a 48mb file.

the crashes are too loud and need to have some ambience/OH. Everything else is good though. What were the settings on the valveking?

The valve king's settings were

This is the 50 watt 1x12 combo so it might be a bit different on the Head

The amp was set to Class A/B
Rear resonance control was set to Loose

Gain - 6 (gain boost off)
Volume - 3

Bass - 4
Mids - 7
Treble - 7

Reverb - off.

I ran a behriger X-Vamp as a noise gate through the loop just to keep the breaks (like there were any i know ...lol) tight.