Advice for this mix please??

AdamAMM

New Metal Member
Oct 29, 2011
Warning: Bit of a noob here

I need some advice on this mix. I a/b it with some pro recorded albums and it sounds terrible compared to them. I know a lot of it has to do with gear but I think I should be able to get something better than this with what I've got. I used the Eleven Rack for guitars, which I will be recording with a couple 5150s as the main guitar tracks this weekend and I'll turn the eleven tracks down for backing. The drums were recorded with a SM7 on the snare, 57s on the toms, beta 52 on the kick, and c1000's as overheads. My interface is a ProFire2626.
I'm only using the plug-ins that came with pro-tools, will spending some money on some quality plugs make a big difference? I was looking at the waves silver bundle but if it's not going to make a big difference then I'd rather wait and spend money on better gear.
I plan on getting drumagog, which will help a lot with the drums but any advice you guys can give me would be much appreciated. I feel I should be able to get a better overall mix and I'm not sure what else to do at this point.

http://soundcloud.com/adammcghee/thc-flesh-10292011

Instead of plugins, better invest that money in a real amp, because the difference between elevenrack and real amp will be MUCH more that with the stock pro tools plugins (which are quite good anyway!)... As for the mix, the drums really need more definition to them, can't really hear the kick (not that it's not there, but it's just muddy), the snare is missing some crack and body... Drumagog might help to tighten it all up, but you need to have those samples recorded really well (nicely tuned drums in a nicely treated room), otherwise layering the real drums with bad samples ain't gonna help... Try compressing them also a little bit more (especially the overheads and the snare)...

Instead of plugins, better invest that money in a real amp, because the difference between elevenrack and real amp will be MUCH more that with the stock pro tools plugins (which are quite good anyway!)... As for the mix, the drums really need more definition to them, can't really hear the kick (not that it's not there, but it's just muddy), the snare is missing some crack and body... Drumagog might help to tighten it all up, but you need to have those samples recorded really well (nicely tuned drums in a nicely treated room), otherwise layering the real drums with bad samples ain't gonna help... Try compressing them also a little bit more (especially the overheads and the snare)...

Thanks for the response. I do have a quality amp, 5150 II. We just tracked with the Eleven for the connivence factor at the time and wanted to see what we could get out of the rack. I do plan on using the 5150 this week for the main guitar tracks.

As for the drums, drumagog is on the way, I plan on triggering my EZDrummer metalheads kit via midi out of drumagog (if I can figure it out that is). I'll try your suggestion of compressing the overheads a little more. The snare is already compressed pretty heavily due to the lighter hits during the quick snare sections. Thanks again. Any other suggestions or thoughts are welcome from anyone else! If you guys don't think plug in's are the way to go to get my sound to the level then what is the next thing you would buy for $500-600?

Here's my set up:
Macbook Pro
ProTools 10
Soon to have Drumagog
M-Audio Profire 2626
Eleven Rack
KRK Rokit 5's
Mics: SM7, 3 57's, 2 C100's, Beta 52