Advice with drumhead(s) purchase...

MKS

May 24, 2005
I'm dusting off my 16 Year Old Tama Rockstars and they need all new heads. It's been 5 years since I bought heads.

What should I get and where should I buy them online?

I'm going with a 5 peice setup with 10" mounted to far left side (from throne P.O.V.).

10" Tom - I don't like a muted sound. More melodic.
12" Tom - I don't like a muted sound. More melodic.
16" Floor - I don't like a muted sound. More melodic but the least melodic of the other two drums.
22" Kick - Snappy and nice attack
13" Piccolo - Very high pitched but limited ring. Prong (Prove you wrong) or Primus (Frizzle Fry) type sound.

I already know I'm going to use a remo coated for the snare. Sorry, I don't remember the depth of each drum.

MKS said:
I'm dusting off my 16 Year Old Tama Rockstars and they need all new heads. It's been 5 years since I bought heads.

What should I get and where should I buy them online?

I'm going with a 5 peice setup with 10" mounted to far left side (from throne P.O.V.).

10" Tom - I don't like a muted sound. More melodic.
12" Tom - I don't like a muted sound. More melodic.
16" Floor - I don't like a muted sound. More melodic but the least melodic of the other two drums.
22" Kick - Snappy and nice attack
13" Piccolo - Very high pitched but limited ring. Prong (Prove you wrong) or Primus (Frizzle Fry) type sound.

I already know I'm going to use a remo coated for the snare. Sorry, I don't remember the depth of each drum.

evans g2 clears on toms
evans eq3 on kick
evans dry on snare
i love these heads, if you are good at tuning you will be super pleased. they hold up pretty good too. check them out. they are usually alittle cheaper than remos too:headbang: .

i personally cant stand the g2s in the studio. good for live though. i would recommend clear remo emperors for the top toms and clear ambassadors for the bottom head. control sound head for the snare (i would ditch the piccolo anyway) and an evans emad for the kick.

All the suggestions so far i agree with. If you're recording in the studio, i would recommend tuning the batter head to resonant head on the mounted toms to 4ths or 5ths instead of unisons. They pop real nicely in the mix and have a nice deep sound to them. For floors, i still tune to unisons because the resonant head tends to get a little too floppy for me if i tune them down. Good luck with the recording.

Actually, I don't think I'll be using it in the studio. This is primarily for live gigs.

I still like using my E-kit for recording but I have no desire to drag it to a gig.

axeman720 said:
i personally cant stand the g2s in the studio. good for live though. i would recommend clear remo emperors for the top toms and clear ambassadors for the bottom head. control sound head for the snare (i would ditch the piccolo anyway) and an evans emad for the kick.
why dont you like th e g2s? im just curious. ive had better luck with g2s than almost anything by remo. but it is a personal preference i guess and it also depends on the drumset in question.