Advice

Unique thread!

Get Morningrise, MAYH and Orchid; Blackwater Park is good but unessential and Still Life, Deliverance and Damnation are not necessary (though Deliverance has its moments).

bleh...i can't stand their first two cds....terrible production, although the re-issue of Morningrise only rates a -7 on the sound-o-meter...I started off with Blackwater Park, and went to Still Life and MAYH next

My Arms, Your Hearse is the best, followed by Morningrise(IMO). I'd suggest Blackwater Park or Still Life though.

I actually emailed this question to Mikael a few years ago after I bought BWP, and he recomended me Still Life. I'll do the same then. First BWP, then Still Life

A lot of people seem to think Deliverance is the most "simplistic" or whatever, so that might be a good start.

Kjøp Still Life eller Blackwater Park først, de er enklest å komme "inn i", det beste albumet er My arms Your Hearse men det gir best uttelling etter du har hørt på Opeth en stund, kjøp albumene en etter en.

Alltid koselig når folk oppdager Opeth :)

You're probablt best off to go one of either two ways:

1) Buy the albums in order (Orchid, Morningrise, My Arms Your Hearse, Still Life, Blackwater park, Deliverance, Damnation), or

2) Go accessibility-wise. Blackwater Park and Still Life are both pretty accessible, and showcase the spectrum of their styles (to an extent). These would probably be your best bet. Although, in the long run, you'll end up loving the first three albums: they're fantastic - but probably a touch harder to get into if you're just starting to get into Opeth.

Anyway, I'm sure you'll love whatever you pick up if you give it time. Enjoy!

My Arms Your Hearse is the best, but probably not the best one to start with. Morningrise and Blackwater Park are both excellent and quite easy to get into. Orchid is very good but not as easy to get into. Still Life is good but not great, this wouldn't be a bad one to start with though. I wouldn't get Deliverance or Damnation first.

Overall, I'd probably say Morningrise. Blackwater Park worked for me though. :)