advice

HunAþký

Karanligi Gecelim
May 19, 2002
Turkey
Visit site
Information about these bands and some album recommandations of each one (especially progressive and techniqual ones):
Summoning
In The Woods
Ulver
Pestilence
Pain Of Salvation
Maudlin of the well
Porcupine Tree
Die Apokalyptischen reiter
Diabolical Masquerade
At the gates
Dream Theatre (which albums should i get first,or should i get?)
Immortal
Cynic
Novembre

Thanks

Originally posted by HunAþký

Summoning

Fantastic band. Fantasy black metal, but not in the cheesy "True Warrior" sense like Bal Sagoth. Very Lord of the Rings inspired. There are two vocalists, both of which have very harsh black metal vocals. The music is mostly keyboard driven, with guitars low in the mix and heavy war drums. For newcomers I recommend 'Stronghold' and 'Let Mortal heroes Sing Your Fame'. My favorite is 'Minas Morgul'

In The Woods

Undoubtedly the best band to come out of Norway. Their earlier stuff is much more black metal influenced. On later albums they would drop the raspy vocals entirely for clean singing. Very psychedelic music. Newcomers should start with 'Omnio' or 'Strange in Stereo'. My favorite is 'HEart of the Ages'

Essential black metal band. Their first four albums are hyper speed black metal. Their last three have seen them adopt a slower, more riff oriented and songwriting approach Newcomers should start with 'Sons of Northern arkness' or 'At the heart of Winter'. My favorite is 'Pure holocaust'.

Originally posted by HunAþký
Ulver

Ulver is an enigma. They change with every album. Their first album, 'Bergtatt', was a folk/black metal mixture. Their seond, 'Kveldssanger', was an entirely folk album, no metal at all. Their third album, 'Nattens Madrigal', was a harsh black metal album.

Then Ulver moved into a more industrial direction with 'Themes from William Blakes The Marriage of Heaven and Hell'. The last four albums and EP's ('Metamorphosis', 'Perdition City', the two 'Silence..' EPs) are entirely techno music. Most metal fans don't like them but I do for some reason. The best place to start is 'Bergtatt' and 'Kveldssanger'. My favorite is 'Kveldssanger' and 'Themes...'

At the gates

Pretty much the flagship band for Swedish death metal. Their older stuff was harsher, then they involved some melodicism with 'Terminal Spirit Disease'. Their last album ('Slaughter of the Soul')is considered a classic. Start with 'With Fear I Kiss the burning Darkness', or 'Terminal Spirit Disease'. Most start with 'Slaughter..', but I think that's a mistake.

They only released one album called 'Focus'. Extremely technical death metal. They incorporate "transformer" vocals along with death growls. 'Focus' is considered a classic, but it doesn't do much for me.

I don't know much about these guys. I own 'Classica' and 'Novembrine Waltz', and both are good if you like the Opeth style of songwriting. Songs go from heavy to soft, heavy to soft, etc. If you like Opeth, you'll like Novembre.

cool,cynic sound like my shit too.and ulver,i love folk metal.

hunapky,check our Rakoth as well,if you like the sound of ulver.

Album recommendations:

Summoning - Dol Guldur

In The Woods - Strange in Stereo

Ulver - Themes From William Blake's The Marriage Of Heaven And Hell

Pestilence - Spheres

Pain Of Salvation - Remedy Lane

Maudlin of the well - Bath + Leavin Your Body Map

Porcupine Tree - Coma Divine

Die Apokalyptischen reiter - Soft & Stronger + All You Need Is Love

Diabolical Masquerade - Nightwork

At the gates - Slaughter of the Soul

Dream Theatre - Images and Words + Awake

Immortal - Sons of Nothern Darkness + Battles in the North

Novembre - Novembrine Waltz

Ulver: I've heard bits and pieces from them and am currently planning to get their Bergtatt album for a start.

Pestilence: Very technical death metal. Great stuff. Spheres is a good album.

Pain Of Salvation: I am probably in the minority here, because most POS fans consider their last 2 albums The Perfect Element and Remedy Lane to be their best. I don't agree with that. TPE and RL were the first two POS albums I got because everyone was raving about them being masterpieces. To me they're just so-so albums, but as far as theri progresiveness is concerned, they're really good. Not really heavy or technical, like, say Dream Theater. They're more on the emotional side of things. My opinion on them changed when I heard One Hour by the Concrete Lake, which I think is one of the best 90's prog metal albums ever released. This album is a lot darker and heavier, and really one of a kind. POS would have been my favourite band if they released albums in this vein. I highly recommend you start with OHBTCL.

At the gates: One of the pioneers of melodic death metal from Sweden. They broke up, but they had some good songs, IMO. I still prefer Dark Tranquillity or Edge of Sanity over them any day of the week though.

Dream Theater: Dream Theater is my second favourite band after Savatage. They're really amazing. I highly recommend you check out as many albums as possible from their catalog. Scenes From A Memory is my favourite album from them, but most DT fans like Images & Words (1992) and Awake (1994) better. I am still in the process of digesting their new one. I think SFAM, Awake or I&W are the albums to get into Dream Theater. Make sure you give them a good amount of spins before you form an opinion. But then I guess I needn't warn you about that, since you had the patience to get into Opeth, hehe. DT were one of the pioneers of progressive metal when they came out in the late 80's but there have been way too many DT clones up to this day that some people just even lost their respect for DT, although DT wasn't responsible for the clones.

Immortal: At the Heart of Winter is good, but I'm no big black metal fan, so what do I know?

Cynic: Wow, this band is essential! You definitely have to check out Focus. They only have one official album anyway, the rest is demos. Focus is a masterpiece. You'll never hear bad things about this album. Very technical death metal with jazz influences. Amazing.

Novembre: Some people compare them to Opeth, though they aren't as progressive, IMO. Still a very good band and Classica is an album I can see any Opeth fan enjoying.

If you decide to check any of these albums out, make sure you let us know what you think.

NP: Pentagram - Trail Blazer

Here is my opinion too, although the other guys pretty much covered the stuff

Summoning

Atmospheric black metal, synth-based, with programmed drums (which is not a bad thing). The only problem is that they are a bit repetitive in their style between albums.
Recommendations: Dol Guldur, Minas Morgul

In The Woods

They've started as melodic, pagan black metal band to evolve into one of the best progressive atmospheric bands ever. Every album is unique and every one is a masterpiece
Recommendations: discography, but get first Omnio, then HEart Of The Ages, 3 Times 7 In A Pilgrimage, Strange In Stereo and if you want A Return To The Isle Of Men (demo)

Ulver

What can I say about them? My all-time favorite band, in my opinion the definition of progress in music. Every album is totally different than the rest.
Recommendations: once again discography. Here's a brief description of every album
Bergtatt - melodic folk black metal
Kveldssanger - folk (totally acoustic)
Nattens Madrigal - old-school black metal (like Darkthrone)
Themes - rock, pop, metal, trip hop, electronica, etc (if anyone can clearly describe this amazing album, I'd like to know)
Metamorphosis - electronica (from dance to more atmosperic approach)
Perdition City - lounge, chill out, trip hop, jazz etc.
Silence Teaches You How To Sing - a more relaxed approach to the style of PC, with some noise touches
Silencing The Singing - same as the previous
Lyckanthropen Themes - a soundtrack similar to the last two eps, very good

Pain Of Salvation

One of the best new progressive metal bands, with influences from Dream Theater, Tool etc. Technical but not too technical
Recommendations: The Perfect Element Pt. 1

Maudlin of the well

The best progressive death band right now (I'm not trying to be offensive but these guys are much better than Opeth in my opinion).
Recommendations: Bath, Leaving Your Body Map

At the gates

Melodic swedish death metal band. One of the creators of what was named afterwards N.W.O.S.D.M, they manage to be melodic and technical whithout losing their aggression.
Recommendations: Slaughter Of The Soul, Terminal Spirit Disease

Dream Theatre (which albums should i get first,or should i get?)

While many people here find them boring and unemotional, I think they're neither. I love them and believe that their music is emotional if you take the time to listen to them carefully.
Recommendations: Images And Words, A Change Of Seasons, Scenes from A Memory

get everything by Pain of Salvation

they are currently the most unique and amazing band on the planet.

Also...maudlin of the Well rules too....very avante garde....I guarantee you've never heard anything like it.

Cynic - Focus is the fucking bible

If you want technical check out
Spiral Architect - A Sceptic's Universe
The DIllinger Escape Plan - Calculating Infinty

If you like masterful, flawless guitar shredding- Fluid, accurate, and perfect drumming- Speedy, fretless bass greatness- And screaming lows and highs...

Then, yeah, I'd pick up Cynic- Focus. Despite only one CD and a few demos, they continue to be one of my favorite bands ever. I have yet to hear a band that has perfected their instruments...but Paul Masvidal, Jason Gobel, Sean Malone, and Sean Reinert come as close as you can get.

IN THE WOODS:

Got acquinted with the band with the coming out of "Strange in StereO". Still havent heard anything of them before this albom...
( Atm the band doesnt exist anymore and the bandmembers splitted into 2 groupparts...one of which became GREEN CARNATION and the other i dunno :) )

Concerning "strange in stereo"- very strange albom imo. Very psychodelic-progressive...but imo TOO psychodelic. Ya ll love it perhaps at first but not an alobm to listen often imo. In fact more than half of the songs, or better said all the songs with woman vocals are kinda "sick", at least i cant listen to them....

But 2-3 songs especially first one are just AMAZING! I would definitely adivse ya to DL the albom as i personally would never buy an albom to listen just to 3/10 songs.