AETERNUS - ...And so the Night Became

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
296594.jpg

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]There's No Wine Like The Bloods Crimson[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]As I March[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Warrior Of The Crescent Moon[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Blodsverging[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]5[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]When The Crows Shadow Falls[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]6[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Ild Dans[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]...And So The Night Became[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Fyrndeheimen

[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Absolute darkness. Imagine a barren wasteland with three monoliths protruding from the ground, each representing a musical landscape: the epic hymns of BATHORY’s Hammerheart, the folk driven fantasy of SUMMONING’s Stronghold, and the battle anthems of GRAVELAND’s Creed of Iron. Now imagine the shadows pouring out from the foot of each monolith, with the sun setting on the horizon and the darkness beginning to spread. That’s where AETERNUS resides. The aptly titled, …And so the Night Became, lives amongst those shadows, and inevitably engulfs all that it surrounds into pitch blackness.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Throughout the first three albums, AETERNUS emphasized the melding of Black and Death metal together with running streams of Folk song and stanza. They pound away, staying true to their roots of guttural mid-paced riffs and vocals, where both are refined to near-perfection by band leader, Ares. His songwriting doesn’t rely on a frenzied murderous attack, but instead pulls you under to watch you slowly drown.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Although all first three records are exceptional, it is …And so the Night Became (’98) that I think leads the charge. Here’s why: first of all, the production is much improved upon when compared to Dark Sorcery (’95) and Beyond the Wandering Moon (’97). Whether it be the theatrical symphony, battering war drums, or assaulting guitar riffs, the soundscapes literally work together to wrap themselves around you. Secondly, while the song material on the other two albums is also brilliant (particularly on Beyond the Wandering Moon), it is here that AETERNUS offer a slightly higher level of both consistency and maturity throughout each of their tracks.

[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The absolute highlight of the album is “Warrior of the Crescent Moon”, starting with a beautiful acoustic guitar set piece reminiscent to that of an Ennio Morricone movie track. Once the heavy guitar 'wall of sound' lunges at you, the slight distraction you hear to that glorious riffing is the keyboard melody played by Morrigan (bass, keyboards). The song ends with an allegro, but in my nature of wanting too much of a good thing, I find myself replaying the entire track over and over. It’s worth the price of admission alone.

[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The rest of the album provides equally stunning moments, but I think by now the point is made. Certainly a nighttime record, the absence of light and day is apt for the perfect listening experience of …And so the Night Became.

9.5/10
[/FONT]