Aevum - Peruvian prog/power

Fire breath

Feb 20, 2002
London
piris-metalopolis.blogspot.com
Whole album is on YT. Surprisingly enough these guys are highly professional sounding with a huge production. The singer is not the best you've ever heard but he's OK if the expected weak link in the band but I accept him. One up for Peru!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
OK... so this is a growing pet peeve of mine... labeling something based on the country that it hails from.

Ever since a scene developed in Sweden, around Melodic Death Metal, people have taken to using the band's origin as a descriptor. In the case of Sweden, it made sense, as that sound, at that time, was unique to that geography. However, it is not typically the case that the origin of the music actually impacts the music in a substantial way. Case in point, this band... is there anything "Peruvian" about their sound? I mean, if these guys were from Italy, would anyone have queued this song up and thought to themselves, "Hmmm... this sounds Peruvian."

Fire breath... not at all intended as a shot at you, as many people do this now. As I said, it's just a pet peeve. /rantover

I use the origin of the band with zero link to the music style (personally speaking of course). I was just letting the world know they are from Peru. I often like to say which country a band is from in the description. Earlier I posted about Dalriada and decribed them as Hungarian Folk Metal. I was just letting people know they are Hungarian not that they play a musical style. And yes there is no such thing as "Peruvian prog metal" as a sound like you said but you just got the wrong end of the stick with me. Maybe the wording leads you on the wrong path I don't know.

OK... so this is a growing pet peeve of mine... labeling something based on the country that it hails from.

Ever since a scene developed in Sweden, around Melodic Death Metal, people have taken to using the band's origin as a descriptor. In the case of Sweden, it made sense, as that sound, at that time, was unique to that geography. However, it is not typically the case that the origin of the music actually impacts the music in a substantial way. Case in point, this band... is there anything "Peruvian" about their sound? I mean, if these guys were from Italy, would anyone have queued this song up and thought to themselves, "Hmmm... this sounds Peruvian."

Fire breath... not at all intended as a shot at you, as many people do this now. As I said, it's just a pet peeve. /rantover

C'mon now. Who the hell can't recognize Peruvian metal when they hear it...? :)

Hi guys, Im Xtopher, member of Aevum, and i just wanted to contribute here and say that we actually dont have any peruvian music as influence rather than what is within us as a culture. But i guess u already knew that lol. But to be fair with Fire Breath here, when i listen to a new band i always want to know where they come from, just to picture something in my head i guess... nothing wrong with that right?