5 Eccentric
6 Digital Deceit
7 Through Square Eyes
8 Blind Pain
9 Two Sides
10. Victim of Choices
11. Reflections
12. Life’s Vortex

AFTER FOREVER have returned with a brand new release this year, and this is really a full blown out concept album. Well, not really so much as a concept album, as almost being set up as a metal opera, which has become so popular as of late. It probably helps that lead vocalist, Floor Jansen, has spent so much time lately performing with AYREON. Naw, I’m sure that has nothing to do with it. Yes, that was sarcasm, folks. Well, whatever you want to call this, it is really damn good. For those not in the know, AFTER FOREVER play symphonic metal with gothic tinges, and play it well they do. They can go from some wonderful heavy vocal choir choruses, and merge into some acoustic interlude, that leads into some heavy death vocals surrounding some very rocking metal riffs. The songs are so well thought out and perfected, and never sound sloppy. Now, from what I can tell, the concept of the album has to do with a couple disagreeing on having a child, and the child coming into their lives, and changing everything. This will probably be something we all will have to deal with in some way or another, so it really brings you that much closer to the music with something much more idetifiable.

The harsh vocals are amazingly well done. They are death like, but very clear and decipherable, much like NOVEMBER’S DOOM. This might actually be one of my favorite features of the band. This makes for a great dichotomy to Floor Jansen’s higher ranged female vocals, which are actual used more as a rock style female vocal and not forced into some false operatic the whole time. Although, she will pull out the angelic opera vocals once in a while when it fits the music. Their different styles combine to make a pleasant listen, but nothing that really overwhelms you while listening. The music really is on a wide spectrum, ranging from straight forward metal, Middle Eastern tinged melodies; symphonic moments complete with choir work, and hauntingly beautiful guitar and piano passages, all the while never sounding over the top.

While AFTER FOREVER are nothing new, and I can think of a handful of bands that do the same exact thing, yet AFTER FOREVER have something unique about them. They never sound contrived, and the love of the songs they convey is so convincing that you get right there in the mood with them. This is something that is quite hard to do, and AFTER FOREVER manages to do so right from the beginning. Another quality release from them and one definitely worth adding to your collection.

Rating: 8.1 /10

Evil C

General Zod said:
Though the spoken word parts are so, so bad, it's not enough to detract from the overall strength of this disc. I really dig Floor's voice.

Zod

Hey GenZod, how about those Chargers !! The Brees and Gates combo is deadly.

Invisible Circles is one of my favorites of the year. I think the spoken word parts are truly putrid, but it's the music that matters, and I think the disc is a standout. I've seen several reviewers deduct points for those two spoken word parts, but I can't do it. The disc is too strong. It's a 9 in my book.

I like Floor's voice a lot, but I really love the death vocalist's voice. This is a great disc to get the prog/power fan who hates death vocals more into that kind of stuff. The contrast from Floor, to the "death vox" guy who's name I can't remember is stunning to my ears. It works in a big way for me.

Britt

DarkTide said:
Hey GenZod, how about those Chargers !! The Brees and Gates combo is deadly.
It's a strange deal. I wanted the Chargers to draft Gallery on draft day. Instead, they took Rivers. Now, we're between a rock and a hard place. It will be interesting to see what they do.

How far can the Pack go this year?

Zod

General Zod said:
It's a strange deal. I wanted the Chargers to draft Gallery on draft day. Instead, they took Rivers. Now, we're between a rock and a hard place. It will be interesting to see what they do.

How far can the Pack go this year?

Zod

Yeah, Brees looks legit. The emergence of Gates has helped him a lot, but he looks so much more poised than what I recall of him last year. I think the light just went on for him.

It will be interesting to see what they do with Brees being a free agent and all. I've heard that the Chargers will slap a tag of some sort on Brees after the year in hopes that they can get a quality draft pick for him. They almost dealt him before the deadline, but couldn't pull the trigger because they think they are a playoff team this year. Truth be told I'd keep Brees and try to deal Rivers. A team like the Packers would be interested in either of those guys, but they lack that high draft pick. There will be interest in both guys, that's for sure.

As for the Pack it's been a weird year. The Packer offense can be dominating, but the defense can be dreadful.

Of late it seems to be coming together all around. They have pulled to .500 after the 1-4 start, and now can snag a piece of 1st place in the division with a win over the Vikes in Green Bay on Sunday. I like the Packers chances -- Moss has basically been ruled out again.

How far can the Packers go ? It's a tough call. I think they will make the playoffs, but the defense will get ate alive by someone. Well see. They at least have showed some character after the pathetic start.

Britt

DarkTide said:
Truth be told I'd keep Brees and try to deal Rivers. A team like the Packers would be interested in either of those guys, but they lack that high draft pick. There will be interest in both guys, that's for sure.
I'm with you. And if I'm A.J. Smith, I'll take a 1st or a 2nd for Rivers.

DarkTide said:
How far can the Packers go ? It's a tough call. I think they will make the playoffs, but the defense will get ate alive by someone. Well see. They at least have showed some character after the pathetic start.
I agree. They should be there. Than it comes down to how far Brett, Green and the D can take them.

Zod