Agalloch - Ashes Against the Grain

Zack

charting my way to top :)
Feb 9, 2005
Agalloch – Ashes Against the Grain
The End Records – GRAU006 – August 8th, 2006
By Zack Attaran

10304wh5.jpg

When you’ve been waiting for something for four years, you’re going to make yourself like it. Whether it’s an Agalloch CD, or not, four years is too long to wait to merely dismiss the subject to collect dust after only a few listens. Therein lies Ashes Against The Grain’s first beauty. Like a fine wine, this CD has been fermenting for quite some time, and now that the cork’s been popped, it’s better than ever. What more could an Agalloch fan ask for? From start to finish, this album is a masterpiece, demanding the listener’s attention from the dissonant, yet beautiful intro, to the soothing feedback of the final piece. To me, this album is one that begs to be listened to in its entirety, and the same experience achieved by one full listen is comparable to climbing a mountain and taking in the scenery. While the peak is magnificent, the trek makes it that much better. Sure, certain songs do stand above one another, but rarely will you find me sitting down to listen to my favorite pieces. If I press play, I intend to take it all in, not just a portion. For instance, the dynamics on this CD are incredible, and one would surely miss the ungodly amounts of buildup if they chose to bypass certain tracks. In short, Ashes Against the Grain is a journey not to be missed.

The burning question still does loom, however. Does this pale in the shadow of its companion? Our heroes last left us with their other stroke of genius, The Mantle. Its differences to Ashes Against the Grain are subtle, and you would be able to tell it was Agalloch if you were blindfolded, but those differences are prevalent. What sets this album apart from its predecessor, though, is its overall tone, one that tends to lean to the heavier side. Take a listen to ’Not Unlike the Waves’ and you’ll surely see the heavier aspects that are rampant. What’s more, is that the vocals tend to have a bit more grimness in them, and more singing in general than the last. Even long instrumental pieces like ’Odal’ have taken the back burner and are almost non-existent here. Next on the list, and normally a factor that isn’t that important to me is the production, especially of the drums. Would the album still receive the same score had the production been the same as the The Mantle? Yes, but it’s those minor added bonuses that I just love, almost like finding money on the ground. Finally, I absolutely worship the glorious three piece epic, ’Our Fortress is Burning, a marvelous finish to a stunning album.

So is it better? Does it top The Mantle? You betcha. Overall, I don’t think they necessarily improved, because it’s the difference in style that I enjoy more, but The Mantle is still one of my favorites. So how come this doesn’t bear the mark of a classic, a venerated “10/10”? I just don’t see this as an album that people 20 years from now will talk about as a milestone in metal, or an idol and staple influence for every band to come. So there you have it. The wait was worth it, and if things go accordingly, come 2009, our pallets will be thirsty again, and if Agalloch maintains their incredible prestige, we won’t be disappointed.

9.5/10

UM’s Review Rating Scale

Official Agalloch Website
Official The End Records Website

It's a great album, but The Mantle is most definitely better. As is Pale Folklore.

Ashes Against the Grain >>>> The Mantle > Pale Folklore (although I do happen to like it more than TM on certain occasions)

10/10 and best album of 2006.

Scourge of Malice said:
I don't understand how you can be so into the band if you think they keep getting worse and worse.

The Mantle is my favorite. Which means they did get better after Pale Folklore. I'm not obsessed with this band, but i was listening to them when I chose my board name.

Stunning album. A tremendous amount of tension/release in the stucture of the music. The bass is more up front, and the drumming,IMO has improved. Although, J Haugm does the drumming on "not unlike the waves" and "falling snow." Certainly one of the best of 2006. Blood in our Wells by Drudkh just connects with me better on an emotional level.

Its very good. All three albums aforementioned by Agalloch are well-composed pieces of metal at its highest (unlike other metal bands, who really do produce albums of spurious cookie-cutter quality). I think it depends on personal preference as to which is the best. I prefer the slower almost organic and emotional The Mantle; but I can see how others like this even more.

I just have to point this out because I find it extremely hilarious. When you see metalcore kids or even sometimes power metal guys argueing over an album, they're always like "joo teh suxor pwnt" and immature crap. Here you've got Agalloch fans debating the new release, you all look like English majors or something... I just find that really hilarious. :lol:

Agalloch – Ashes Against the Grain

Like Zack said above this cd is truly a contender for album of the year.
Ashes has only nine tracks on it so you know there is no fluff on the damn thing. It also has a running time of almost an hour which also help's this wonderful album. Because it never becomes boring. It's just enough music for you to enjoy.

The cd has numerious ebbs and flows which all create tensions within me as a listener. For example Limbs the first track starts with a brooding intro that makes my neck hair stand up. Then Agalloch follows that up with almost an uplifting riff after that. Ebbs and flows my metal friends. In all this cd has no inherant weakness's no one's performance on this peace of work is in question. The production suits the band very well. Everything is top notch.

Like Zack said above this cd is truly a contender for album of the year.
Ashes has only nine tracks on it so you know there is no fluff on the damn thing. It also has a running time of almost an hour which also help's this wonderful album.

The cd has numerious ebbs and flows which all create tensions within me as a listener. For example Limbs the first track starts with a brooding intro that makes my neck hair stand up. Then Agalloch follows that up with almost an uplifting riff after that. Ebbs and flows my metal friends. In all this cd has no inherant weakness's except that some black metal purist will hate this ablum. Most this due because their not a blasts it out type band but oh well that's their loss. If you listen to all different types of albums then this cd is for you.

If I had to desribe their sound it would be part My dying bride part random black metal band here. Arcturus is the closest to their sound. This was my first of their cd's and believe me this will not be my last Agalloch album.

Agalloch – Ashes Against the Grain is a top ten album of 06 if you ask me maybe even higher. 9.0

Agalloch – Ashes Against the Grain is a top ten album of 06 if you ask me maybe even higher. 9.0

At this point AAtG is my top pick for 2006. I like it better than PF and TM, too, for what it's worth. :)

Yeah after a few more listens, its fast become one of my favorite cds ever. I remember not thinking much of The Mantle at first, and it really grew on me; same thing with this album.