Agalloch post song from new album

shadowNINE

Guitar/Backing Vocals in Vacant Eyes
http://www.mp3.com/agalloch/artists/339158/summary.html.

The new song is called "Falling Snow" and it's from their forthcoming album Ashes Against the Grain, which is to be released on The End records later this year. The band have suggested that the new album will have more of a "rock" feel to it, but will still sound like Agalloch.

Judging by this song, I think they've succeeded...and I think Katatonia fans will really like this sound...so I am posting the news here. Enjoy.

(Also note that the song can only be streamed from that site. I heard that it'll be available to download from The End soon.)

With a new album out I thought I'd give Agalloch another shot, cause the previous stuff failed to convince me despite several attempts, yet they keep popping up in "bands you should check out if you like Katatonia" threads. Well, I love Katatonia, so I downloaded "Ashes Against The Grain" and listened to it tonight. I listened... and listened... and tried.. and tried to find a melody or lead that would make me eager to continue to listen, but in vain..

The riffs, chords and melodies fail to stimulate even the most sensitive of nerves in my body, they just sound totally anonymous to me. Hints of something that could be good can be noticed, but it never makes that final leap.. I guess I'll just give up on them, guess they're just not for me..

I think the two previous albums before Ashes didn't really do anything for me. But Ashes really got to me...It really stimulated my mind like only certain bands can do. I get a feeling where I'm in this dazed state of mind and I only concentrate on the music...can't do anything else. Only problem I have with it is that the Scream/Growl vocals can get stale. His cleans though are top notch.

Personally I love the "Of Stone, Wind and Pillor" EP the best. "Ashes Against the Grain" is probably my favorite full-length, but "The Mantle" is right on its heels with "Pale Folklore" right behind. I mean, Agalloch just does it for some where they don't for others. Fans of Ulver, Novembers Doom, Woods of Ypres, Green Carnation, and Pain of Salvation should definitely check out Agalloch, not necessarily Katatonia fans that aren't into the folk side of metal.

yeah but agallochs guitar riffs are not melancholic unlike Katatonia, they are happy =) but the vocals are evil =)
I'd say that the bit about the riffs is, of course, not always so. (But you probably already knew that...hehe.)

"Falling Snow", although good, is really not one of my favorites from Agalloch. They have some more songs on their site now (here), including the one from the album that I ended up liking the most -- "Not Unlike the Waves".

At this point, it'd be hard to say what my favorite albums of theirs is. They all offer something different.