Ah, psyched out again!

Randyisgod15

Mikey B Nasty
Apr 15, 2008
New York
Ok, is it just me, or has certain parts of songs (specific frequencies, sound fx) ever psyched you out before? Example. About a minute ago I was listening to The Forbidden Kingdom OST, and there was this really dissonant note that sounded EXACTLY like the shitty fire alarm in my apartment, which made me look around to see wtf was going on. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. But no, this happens every time :erk:, tricky bastard.

Another one that gets me ever time is Iron Maiden- Sanctuary, when the police sirens go off. There have been many occasions where it scared the crap outta me while I've been driving, looking for the flashing lightbar behind me.

Please tell me I'm not alone here. I wanna hear some of the things that have psyched you guys out!

I can't tell you how many times I think my cell is ringing in the car when I'm listening to music. I don't know if it's a fear I'm missing a call cause the music is so loud, or that there's really similar notes being hit.

I can't tell you how many times I think my cell is ringing in the car when I'm listening to music. I don't know if it's a fear I'm missing a call cause the music is so loud, or that there's really similar notes being hit.

Yea that is the most annoying of all. Definitely going with similar notes there. My room mate (Metaltastic) psyches me out all the time because I had Scar Symmetry- Choasweaver (intro) as my ring tone for years, and now with his new found love for the band, I always find myself reaching in my pocket out of sheer instinct when it comes on in the apt. Curses.

tv commercials with phone rings in them.... those get me a lot

Same here, but with the SMS notification. Seems every other commercial on TV is one of those "get yourself the Baywatch theme song ringtone, a crazy frog as a screensaver and a love calculator for just $8 a month" irritations, and they always play the SMS beep. Really annoying.

there are one or two CDs/songs where the moving cymbal makes a weird noise on the stand (fraction)....
sounds like a cellphone in the background and makes me hit stop and look for the phone every time

Every time I hear a song with air raid siren (like Rage - Firestorm or one Dominici's song from second album) I feel nausea. Experience of 3 months bombing made it's mark I guess.

Few day's ago my brother jumped when he heared the begining of Future Breed Machine. He thought that something is going on with the computer.
And there's an annoying "piiing" sound in of Dream Theater song that seems only I can hear. It's like Groundhogs Day: "I'm telling you! It's happening!" but no one cares.

Yea that is the most annoying of all. Definitely going with similar notes there. My room mate (Metaltastic) psyches me out all the time because I had Scar Symmetry- Choasweaver (intro) as my ring tone for years, and now with his new found love for the band, I always find myself reaching in my pocket out of sheer instinct when it comes on in the apt. Curses.

Bwahahahahahahahahaaha, and it's such a goddamned good song too!! :heh: And yeah, it's the phone ringing that always gets me, as well as Tony Kakko's sorta reverse-echo vocal fade-in before the first verse of "The Boy who wanted to be a real puppet" (where the "so many" builds up), that always just really threw me for a loop before I got used to it.

Every time I hear a song with air raid siren (like Rage - Firestorm or one Dominici's song from second album) I feel nausea. Experience of 3 months bombing made it's mark I guess.

Wow dude, my sympathies, that's gotta be some unpleasant associations!

And there's an annoying "piiing" sound in of Dream Theater song that seems only I can hear. It's like Groundhogs Day: "I'm telling you! It's happening!" but no one cares.

Which DT song is that?

The thing that gets me is when a severely unbalanced mix suddenly comes in with the missing part and freaks me out because I've gotten used to the curve. The most recent was watching Michale Graves' documentary on the WM3, The Blackness and the Forest. It's all overdubbed talking and then a distant siren sound starts and completely freaks me out. It's like listening to 5.1 surround coming from a mono system :p

Wow dude, my sympathies, that's gotta be some unpleasant associations!
Yeah, but had some great time listening to Sepultura and headbanging in shelter. Haha. Wow, almost 10 years past...

@spioraid: Fortune in Lies

@Let it burn...: My relatively new tv does that. I can hear it only in the morning when all is quiet and not always. I have turn it off when it happens - can't stand it. And again, I am the only one who has problem with it. Damn you, good hearing.

Theres a bit in Disconnected by In Flames that sounds identical to our home phone... grrr I hate that it still tricks me when I listen to it.

Joe

Commercials with a certain alarm clock that i have as well, that fucks me up all the time.
And there are 2 Devin Townsend songs where it sounds like my mother is calling me, EXACT same voice.. again, freaks me out every time.