Akercocke Controversy on TV

derbeder

in a vicious circle
Jan 22, 2006
lost
Akercocke's "Antichrist" Sparks Religious Debate On BBC TV
posted Thursday, May 10, 2007 at 12:32:29 PM by deathbringer.

The upcoming release of UK death metal giants Akercocke’s latest album ‘Antichrist’ has caused uproar amongst Northern Ireland’s religious community, and is set to be the subject of a major religious debate live on BBC1 Northern Ireland.

The overtly satanic content contained within ‘Antichrist’ has come under attack by religious forces, leading to the band's vocalist Jason Mendonca facing a head- to-head live TV debate that will air on BBC1’s ‘Nolan Live’ show. The debate will be broadcast live via satellite link at 10.45pm on BBC Northern Ireland following Akercocke’s gig on May 16th at Nottingham’s Rock City. This meeting of minds is sure to stir waves of controversy ahead of their show in Belfast on May 18th and Dublin on May 19th, and with the ‘Antichrist’ misson statement in full force, Akercocke are sure to voice their closely held satanic beliefs.

To find out more about ‘Antichrist’ and to listen exclusively to the track ‘Summon The Antichrist’ that has ignited this controversy, head over to the band's MySpace page.

‘Antichrist’ will be released in the UK on Earache Records on Monday May 28th (UK) and on July 17th in the USA.

http://www.metalunderground.com/news...m?newsid=26111

It's on in about an hour here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/northernireland/nolan/

AKERCOCKE - Antichrist Album Banned By US Pressing Plant
Posted on Friday, May 11, 2007 at 13:42:20 EST

The forthcoming album from AKERCOCKE, abruptly titled Antichrist, has run into more controversy. The provocative nature of the record has already led to problems in Ireland, where the band will take part in a live discussion on the ‘Nolan Live’ show on BBC1 Northern Ireland next Wednesday at 10:45 PM with members of the Irish Catholic clergy.

Now the album has run into problems in the US, where the pressing plant handling the production of the album, Disc USA, has refused to handle the record due its ‘anti-Christian’ perspective.

Commenting on the decision, Akercocke frontman Jason Mendonca stated: “I rather perturbed that in this day and age, the 21st Century, people are so uptight. Whatever happened to freedom of speech and freedom of expression in the alleged democracy of the USA? Censorship is always ugly no matter how you view it. It smacks of fascism to me.”

What other works of art are barred to the good people of America?

The attitude of the printers is typical of the brainwashed. Judging something (literally) by its cover.

Anyone who took the time to look into our history would recognise that we have always stated we are anything but anti-christian. It's divisive attitudes such as this that bring about conflict. Conflict through ignorance.”
http://www.bravewords.com/news/65943

Watched the programme.. Akercocke came across quite well i think - the christian guys, as jason himself pointed out, were making assumptions of the band without actually properly looking at the band's history.

Did i mishear the silver/white haired guy.. but did he honestly call Akercocke racist?!

I watched it on ~British sky - i have access to BBC Ireland, the channel it was on.. Live.. After coming in from seeing Negura Bunget and Ephel Duath :D

..Ephel Duath were the biggest disapointment.. worst professional band i've ever seen live.. Shame, seeing as i love their records..

Surprise surprise.. Negura Bunget were absolutely stunning :D

I watched it on ~British sky - i have access to BBC Ireland, the channel it was on.. Live.. After coming in from seeing Negura Bunget and Ephel Duath :D

..Ephel Duath were the biggest disapointment.. worst professional band i've ever seen live.. Shame, seeing as i love their records..

Surprise surprise.. Negura Bunget were absolutely stunning :D

Ephel were fun but it was kinda weird how they are now just a guitarist, drummer and insane screamy frontman....instead of the fully fledged band they used to be.

Ephel were fun but it was kinda weird how they are now just a guitarist, drummer and insane screamy frontman....instead of the fully fledged band they used to be.
Yeah, the singer and guitarist acted like utters twats.. The drummer was top quality.. But it was just plain noise live.. I couldn't recognise anything at all, whereas if you played me the records i'd recognise the songs fairly easily.

If they remain like this, not sure i'll enjoy their next release.

But yes, i think it may have been youtubed already - i seem to remember seeing someone mention it on the Akercocke forums.
It is definitely worth seeing if you're a fan - you'd think that by now the people against this sort of stuff would actually read up about what they're looking at. It was so clear these guys only heard about Akercocke a week or 2 ago, and got hold of the albums and just listened through the songs briefly and looked at the song titles.

EDIT: hmm .. i must've imagined the person saying it's on youtube..

I'm sure it will turn up eventually though.