AKG D112 vs Audix D6

evolutions_end

now with extra avatar!
Sep 1, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
www.myspace.com
Kick Mics! yay!

Ive had my D112 for over 2 years now, and in the dozens and dozens of metal songs ive recorded in that time, ive always had to work had with my compression and EQ to get a sweet kick sound whilst using the D112. Ive been kinda un-impressed.

I sat in on a recording session the other day and saw the engineer whack his D6 right inside the kick drum, about 2 inches away from the beater. chucked a few blankets over the kick, routed it into a nice valve pre and there was the most amazing kick drum ive every heard (in the flesh). It hit you in the chest. it had guts, balls, definition, warmth, everything a well built man and a good sounding kick drum should have!

Now i realise that this is a metal forum, meteal is very kick drum bias, but i HATE resampling! its too much rooting around when i should be able to pull a good sound! But thats a different story :D

Ive tried chucking the mic right into the kick, the same way it was done in the previous example that i saw with the D6, but i havent had the same results!

Whats your experiences with these 2 mics? Is it worth me selling my D112 and getting the D6?

I've never really been a fan of the D112. It sounds too honky for my tasteb ut I've never had any real experience with the D6 either. I've mixed a couple of projects where a D6 was used on the kick and though it sounds way better than the D112, I usually ended up replacing it with samples.
The sm91 can be pretty cool as well. It's excellent for getting an ultra clicky kickdrum sound.

Ive never liked the D112 It sounds a bit wooly to me. Recently Ive been using the D6 with the Beta 91. D6 for the thump and 91 for the attack. I kno wmany people have done good things with D112s for many years but Its not to my taste.

I have the D112 and the D6.

I used the D6 for the first time on my last demo and it was the best kick I have heard through the monitors to date.

I only stuck it a few inches inside the front sound hole on a 22" Gretch.

It finally had the power that I would look to a sample for.

It was a breath of fresh air.

Highly recommend it over the D112.

If I were you I would keep the D112 for the hell of it and you always have it to try on other things like Bass or for mixed sounds.

But definately pickup the D6!

yea dude...D6 all the way on the heavy shit

D112 is all good if you're doing any sort of standard rock/jazz/ballady kind of stuff, where less presence is required from the kick...other than that, shy away from that fucker

depends on the kick.
i had to use a beta 52 on my drummers kick to tone down the click!!

how about Beta 52 vs. D6?

I have a Beta 52, that's nice but starting to die on me. I also have a D112 but never use it.