Audix D6 + subkick, good ?

Sly

Feb 8, 2006
Grenoble, FRANCE
www.myspace.com
I have an Audix D6 since a few months that I really love. Great attack and low end.
I find that for a "none so metal" kick drum, it lacks just a bit of low mids.

Do you guys ever tried using the D6 with a subkick in front of the kick drum ? Any audio files to hear that ?

The fact is that I never heard a subkick in the real life and I wonder what it brings to a drum sound, just low end or also low mid meat ?

Thanks

If you have a copy of Andy Sneap's drum samples that he posted a few years ago (or if you can get someone to send them to you), the kick samples are D6 + SubKick. And yes, it sounds FANTASTIC. Although I'm not sure it'll be the answer for your low-mid problem.

I have never processed the subkick, but I just got one and put it in on a session with a D6 on a Sonar Force 2003 kick. It didn't do much for me that sampling in something couldn't do. If I had to do it again I'd save my $250 and use samples for something missing in the kick sound.

I have never processed the subkick, but I just got one and put it in on a session with a D6 on a Sonar Force 2003 kick. It didn't do much for me that sampling in something couldn't do. If I had to do it again I'd save my $250 and use samples for something missing in the kick sound.

i think you're missing the point, if you get the sound while recording...you dont have to do all the extra work in placing samples. in my opinion people are settling for shitty mic'd kicks cause they are gonna use samples anyway when the correct approach is to try to get the best mic'd kick and if it is totally impossible to get a great sound then you use samples.

i think you're missing the point, if you get the sound while recording...you dont have to do all the extra work in placing samples. in my opinion people are settling for shitty mic'd kicks cause they are gonna use samples anyway when the correct approach is to try to get the best mic'd kick and if it is totally impossible to get a great sound then you use samples.

+1!, especially if you're doing other things than metal

I think you are missing the point of my post, respectfully.
I'm not saying my kick sound is lacking. I was responding to the poster's question... would the subkick help them in their quest for a better kick sound. I sample in the kick, but it's a sample of the player playing. Why? Cause it gets the kick sounding more consistent, like it or not it's a reality with many drummers playing double kick.

I used the subkick because I thought it'd add to the kick sound. It didn't really do anything extraordinary... nothing that couldn't be done with a sample if I wanted to do it. So I ditched it when mixing. It wasn't adding creatively, it was adding mud.

Anywho, I agree either way. Try to get the best damn sound you can get right off the bat. If you can simply set the level and go w/o EQ or compression then you have done your job.

I have to disagree with you guys - Punkrock, in any kind of music that could possibly be called "rock" in ANY sense of the word, the kick is still totally constant and minimally (if at all) dynamic - and either way, because the batter hits in the exact same spot every time, the only thing that can noticeably vary is dynamics, which is just as easily controlled by automating the volume of the sample (or just getting a quieter one).

And Scorpio, I totally think it's easier to replace a triggered kick with samples then it is to get a good kick sound, compress the living shit out of it to make it consistent, and eq it to taste. And if it sounds just as good as a mic'ed kick track (like most of Andy's productions, as well as Borknagar's Epic, where they literally used kick pedals hitting V-drum trigger pads underneath this massive rack of toms and cymbals, just to name a specific example), then who's to say that mic'ing it is "the correct approach?" I mean, what's the point? Bragging rights?

I have to disagree with you guys - Punkrock, in any kind of music that could possibly be called "rock" in ANY sense of the word, the kick is still totally constant and minimally (if at all) dynamic - and either way, because the batter hits in the exact same spot every time, the only thing that can noticeably vary is dynamics, which is just as easily controlled by automating the volume of the sample (or just getting a quieter one).

And Scorpio, I totally think it's easier to replace a triggered kick with samples then it is to get a good kick sound, compress the living shit out of it to make it consistent, and eq it to taste. And if it sounds just as good as a mic'ed kick track (like most of Andy's productions, as well as Borknagar's Epic, where they literally used kick pedals hitting V-drum trigger pads underneath this massive rack of toms and cymbals, just to name a specific example), then who's to say that mic'ing it is "the correct approach?" I mean, what's the point? Bragging rights?

I was thinking this as well.
I can tell when something, snare/kick, is samples usually. But usually it sounds good so whatever. Also, a band will not want to pay me for micing their kick for 2 hrs rather than spend 20 mins to get a good sound and then have to replace it anyways. What usually happens, for me, is that I will say "I'm going to sample the kick drum sound. It will be your timing and playing, but another sound". They always say "Awesome go for it man whatever works!"

of course it's easier, it's easier to get the nerd sitting next to you in class to do your homework too. but what do you learn....nothing. why not work on your mic'ing tecniques and strive to be a better engineer than to take the easy way out. and if someone said "hey that kick sounds awsome...what samples did you use?" and you say..."none". i think thats a lot to brag about.

Well have fun with that dude, I'll go on using samples and have it sound just as good with way less effort :p

Ok will do. But to the original poster yes the subkick and the d6 is a good combo and I strongly recommend that you work with them and work on proper mic'ing in every aspect of recording. I'm not saying don't ever use samples but try and get into it being the last alternative when all else fails.