akg perception 220

dankarghh

Nov 26, 2009
Australia
hey guys,

i havn't heard a great deal about this mic, but i've tried to do some research. i'm looking to buy my first ldc condenser and i am looking for a mic that would work well mostly on screaming and yelling vocals (hardcore, metal, deathcore etc), some nice clean vocals wouldn't go astray at some point i'm sure.

anyone have any experience with these?

I've used them as overheads a couple of times and honestly, they're nothing to write home about. You can actually get pretty decent results for screaming vocals with the trusty old 57 and 58. If you're set on getting an LDC, you should check out some of the AudioTechnica models as they get quite a lot of praise around here, or the Röde NT-1A which is a great LDC for the price. The NT-1A isn't an ideal mic for screaming vocals, though, but it works on quite a lot of other stuff.

thanks for the fast reply man. the nt1a is the only mic i've ever used on vocals before, more yelling than screaming, but seemed to work well. i'll be sure to keep an eye on ebay for the AT models, just saw a sick deal on the AKG and got curious.

hey guys,

i havn't heard a great deal about this mic, but i've tried to do some research. i'm looking to buy my first ldc condenser and i am looking for a mic that would work well mostly on screaming and yelling vocals (hardcore, metal, deathcore etc), some nice clean vocals wouldn't go astray at some point i'm sure.

anyone have any experience with these?

I have one and use it alot (I also got it for free from a friend who just started working for a big studio). Its pretty nice on acoustic guitars. For vocals i like to set up my beta 58 and this mic right next to eachother, cause in some cases, and the case of my vocalist, his highs come out much clearer on this and the lows come out much more audible on the 58. But i got this mic for free so i cant really say if its worth it or not