Album Art woes... Windows Media Player Win 7

Oct 16, 2010
Uk
Hi.

So recently I've become quite OCD about having all album art for all my tracks.

I've recently consolidated all my music with my little bro's, so that we both have a master back-up, we have very similar taste... Just spent ages deleting duplicates and replacing his shitty .mp3 with lossless .wavs.

Anyway, we've got a lot of compilation CDs (Now That's What I Call Music, Greatest Rock Ballads Ever... that type of thing) and annoyingly, you get the same album cover come up for all the tracks on the CD and not the original album art.

I realise how to change this, just two questions...

Has anyone found a decent way to do this that isn't just manually deleting album names?

Secondly, if I'm working inside Media Player, changing the album name to the original album it was from, do these changes get saved to the folders I've created?

If I now go and give my bro the hard drive, will all the album art appear the same as what I've now done on my PC? I'm also gonna be using it for my Xbox.

Just wanna know if all the effort is worth while?

Thanks. :)

I gave up on this a long time ago. I have all my stuff neatly organized in the folders but WMP doesnt agree with that and does it's own thing. I was thinking of trying winamp again, been about 7 years since I have used that one but i seem to recall it being better about the library, might be mistaken though, been too long.

For compilations in iTunes I use "Various Artist" and keep the compilation album art. It's pretty simple, and it won't change my life if the album art is the original or not. You can only do it manually anyway, a way or another.
Doing so, my library is super clean and organised.

Dump WMP and make a plex server. Then enjoy your music from pc, mac or android phone! It indexes music, gets synopsis and album art for you. Unfortunately it won't do anything for xbox as far as I'm aware.

Its certainly worth checking out, it does video transcoding too.

i organised 16000 tracks with album art etc with Media Monkey.

I think that is the closest a software app can be of any help. It'll still be a LOT of manual labor though

+1 for MediaMonkey, when I was on PC I only used this one, it's almost perfect.

I love Plex as well, it's very nice I have all my series and films on it, it just feels a bit too slow to browse my entire collection with it, it's faster in iTunes using keywords etc. But as AgentX said, it gets info on internet databases and sorts it out for you.

Thanks for the reply guys.

I've downloaded MediaMonkey, it looks a little baffling!

Sounds like it's gonna be futile though if I upload all my songs to another comp running Media Player if it's not physically changing the file attributes :(

I had iTunes way back in the day, I'll give it a try.