XBox360 + Win 7 WIndows Media Center streaming

Oct 16, 2010
Uk
Hi guys.

I'm somewhat baffled and annoyed at the minute...

The network connection between the two is absolutely shit. I'm running from wired ethernet (was an auto, I've since tried 100 Full Duplex), to my router and from my router via wireless "N" speed to my Xbox. When I open up the Network Tuner it's showing my connection as very poor (one bar below acceptable for TV.) The router is only a few rooms away from the Xbox and is fine at connecting to the net for other purposes.

I only want to stream music and video (all converted to MPEG) but the navigation is unbelievably slow if it works at all but once the videos start playing (if they do) then the quality is great.

Surely this should be enough to transmit standard definition? They're mostly lossless DVD quality rips from my collection.

Any ideas or thoughts please? I appreciate I can try running an ethernet to the Xbox from the router too but this would be a major pain in the ass and it wouldn't be permanent anyway.

Thanks.

* My Win 7 system is of decent spec 2nd gen i5 and 8gb of RAM and nothing else at all running on the network from any other device.

I messed around with the whole Media Center thing a couple years back and it was nothing but a headache. My workaround was to use the Video Library on the Xbox. It searches the network for shared videos, just not using the bloated Media Center software. I also had the same network issues at first, but with the Video Library method, I've never had a hiccup :D

I got sick of trying to sort this...

Right now my xbox is hardwired into the router for gaming... for movies I'll either be on netflix or put them on my phone and plug it into my TV...

Music, either YouTube or what I'm going to try is the iPad to Xbox streaming app i've been looking into...

Honestly waiting to get a Google TV box which will make it a piece of piss...