Wireless router just died on me, recommend me a new one

Dalinkwent48@aim.com

Be Creative, Get Laid
Apr 7, 2009
Jersey
So last night my router died, ive had it for a good 7-8 years so im not too surprised. I'm doing some reading right now on the N and G routers. Does anybody have some info that would be helpful. Or any recommendations on a decent router. I use the wireless for my ps3,macbook, ipad, and occasionally my iphone. And I have a pc and xbox360 thats hardwired to the router. I dont need the best as i dont really download stuff but I want the game systems to work like they have being I watch the hell out of netflix and play xbox/ps3 online pretty often.

If you use the wireless a lot make sure you get an N router for the increased signal strength, speed and range. You may also look for one that is compatible with the DD-WRT firmware as it will give you more flexibility than the stock firmware that comes with your router. Here is a list of compatible devices. http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices

Having said that, if you don't need to set up any kind of VPN network, I've had good experiences with the simple Netgear N150. Easy to set up and seems reliable.

The whole Dual Band (2.4 + 5 Ghz) thing is kind of a sham, since a) if your device can't connect at 5 Ghz (and most current devices can't), there's no advantage, b) 5 Ghz is shorter range and more susceptible than 2.4 Ghz to physical interference (though less so with EM interference), and c) who the hell needs more than 300 Mbps when their Internet connection probably tops out at 10-15 Mbps? I'd just go for a good N300 2.4 Ghz router personally

never ever buy a goddamn d-link! they're cheap for goddamn fucking reason.
My 2740 adsl wifi modem router stopped working suddenly and I'm not the only one complaining!
d-link just sucks period!
Lynksys (cisco cheap stuff if I'm not wrong) or usrobotics are good

Never had any deceptions about the 2 Linksys routers I own, one G and one N. WRT54G (a "classic"...) and right now WRT310N. The latest actually drops a few bit more times than the other one. I actually almost never had to reset the WRT54G :p

I ended up going with a netgear n300, now my problem is getting my moms router to spit out a signal into my router so I can finish the setup. Fun times people, fun times.

I ended up going with a netgear n300, now my problem is getting my moms router to spit out a signal into my router so I can finish the setup. Fun times people, fun times.

Ah, this I can help you with, as I too have a 2-router setup - assuming your Mom's router (R1) is the one plugging into the modem, you run a wire from one of the hard-wired ports of R1 to one of the 4 switch ports (NOT the internet port) on your router (R2), and then go into the configuration menu of R2 (connect a computer to it wirelessly, and enter something like http://routerlogin.net, it should be in the instructions) and configure it with the static IP address of 192.168.1.250 and a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 and disable DHCP on it (both options should be fairly obvious), and set up the security options (WPA2) and you should be good to go!

Marcus- I'm just reading your post now so i will try that in a little bit. But last night I ended up going from R1 into R2 via the main internet line and it showed nothing. I tried swapping the router i just bought with her router to see if anything would change and its still the same problem. Should I try what you said to do or are you thinking its broke? Im not sure if its a configuration problem or a broken router. Ill try your method in a few and report back and see what happens.

edit- also wanted to note that when i turn the new router on ports 2/3/4 show activity when I have nothing plugged into those ports. And the wireless wont activate on the router so I cant connect it from my mac. Im thinking its a dud.