Wireless router woes :(

[UEAK]Clowd

Apr 29, 2008
I've tried a few searches on this but I just get a bunch of bogus results.

I have three computers in my house, two of which are plugged directly into the router, one of which is wireless.

computer A (which is mine) and computer B are computers hard-wired to the router, computer C connects via wireless.

for the past week or so, computer A and B will pretty much work ok but sometimes it will stop working and I'll have to reset the router.

computers B and C work perfectly fine together as well.

but if computer C is on and then I turn my computer (computer A) on... computer C's internet either slows to a crawl or just completely stops working altogether.

do I have some sort of virus or something that is slowing the network down? I don't get it. If I turn my computer off, comptuer C works perfectly. the SECOND i boot into windows, computer C stops working.

computer B pretty much works fine all the time though.

edit: also, this same exact problem happens with multiple routers, including a brand new one right out of the box. so there has got to be something going on with my computer?

Yeah, if you've tried replacing the router and making sure you set it up the default way using the included software, then the first thing that springs to mind is making sure all 3 computers are set to automatically obtain an IP address (control panel, network connections, right-click on either wired or wireless, properties, scroll down to Internet Protocol TCP/IP, properties, bam)

If it's not that, I'd call the support for the manufacturer of your router, they're usually pretty helpful! (or maybe Microsoft support, though they'll probably charge you)

I've tried everything (yes all computers were set to get dynamic ip or whatever)

the problem has sort of improved in that computer C now just slows to a crawl instead of breaking completely..

Give static ip addresses a shot then. It can also be that the router can't handle that many computers or some shitty thing like that. Google your routers name and see if other people has had similar problems. It might be recurring problem.
Might be that the original firmware just plain sucks too. A different firmware might work: http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index

Edit: Oh I forgot you had tried different routers. Well I'm out of ideas then.

alright... this problem just took a turn for the weird.

I can unplug my computer (computer A) from the router completely.

turn the computer on...

AND EVERYONE ELSE'S INTERNET SLOWS DOWN OR STOPS WORKING!?!?!

and no, there are no wireless devices in my computer .....