Album covers

oceanborn_300.jpg

catfish_hi.jpg

There is nothing more METAL than Metalchurch's selftitled album cover, Im too incompetent with computers and the net to post the artwork up on here so you'll have to look it up yourself. But a guitar covered in cobwebs and mist, is there anything more metal? :p

i was getting :erk: face again as I scrolled down till I saw Time-Machinist's post.

I just really, really think airbrushed-photoshop-collage-type covers or stereotypical "mostly naked chick + swords and or stars or mythic shit" is so overdone, boring and uncreative. Like the Nightwish one. It's repulsive. The Dark Moor one is pretty bad as well. The Kiuas one is pretty good, but the font styling (the emboss, outline etc) could be greatly improved. Edenbridge is another airbrushed-photoshop hackup, Dream Theater's TOT is a boring photo-collage, I guess I don't have to continue because by now it should be obvious when these particular techniques glare out at the viewer.

I suppose my distaste for that kind of album art is because it patronizes me, the fan. It presumes that you, the metal fan, are drawn and easily sold on naked women, you like masculinity, battle and dragons/fantasy, and that none of these have to be very well drawn/painted/photoshopped for you to care, since you're ignorant of art. To me, that pisses me off.

Arena - The Visitor is an amazing album cover.