Album mixing offer, rock, "nickelback style" ;P

Nobody won anything, apart working for peanuts :devil:
But may be i'm wrong.

I wish you uploaded your files on soundcloud with no download option, so songs are MP3 stream 128Kbps limited.

Lovely attitude to make business...

Noone :lol:

It was cheap to beggin with, delaying it that much just makes it impossible to want to work with, ..and I bet something 'funny is happening'

hey guys, sorry for no answers from me but i'm a little busy:)

they choose polish producer which is guitarist of this band: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkJ3CVeLIakthis[/ame] <- he mixed this

his style fits perfectly in their opinion...

the guy chosen is reader of this forum but don't have account here as i know...

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't even bother with this, because I had a feeling this would happen. I'm not saying it's a bad thing to have these, err... 'competitions' (for want of a better word, I know they're not meant to be competitive but that's just how they turn out, whichever way you slice it) but they do generally end up being a huge disappointment. I know nobody is to blame here so I'm not trying to point any fingers, I'm just saying. Either the band loses its budget, or they choose someone who isn't from the forum who they could have just chosen in the first place, or something else generally disappointing happens, and it's a pain in the arse for those who have worked hard on the mix, grasping at the chance to get the job. I haven't been here long, only a couple of years, but I've never seen a single one of these turn into a success for anyone who actually posts here. Sorry to bring down the mood, but work is getting harder and harder to find, so this proverbial 'dangling of the carrot' is a little unfair I think. Maybe there needs to be some regulations in place if people are going to do these in the future? Again, no hard feelings, I just know a lot of people will be disappointed.

I didn't even bother with this, because I had a feeling this would happen. I'm not saying it's a bad thing to have these, err... 'competitions' (for want of a better word, I know they're not meant to be competitive but that's just how they turn out, whichever way you slice it) but they do generally end up being a huge disappointment. I know nobody is to blame here so I'm not trying to point any fingers, I'm just saying. Either the band loses its budget, or they choose someone who isn't from the forum who they could have just chosen in the first place, or something else generally disappointing happens, and it's a pain in the arse for those who have worked hard on the mix, grasping at the chance to get the job. I haven't been here long, only a couple of years, but I've never seen a single one of these turn into a success for anyone who actually posts here. Sorry to bring down the mood, but work is getting harder and harder to find, so this proverbial 'dangling of the carrot' is a little unfair I think. Maybe there needs to be some regulations in place if people are going to do these in the future? Again, no hard feelings, I just know a lot of people will be disappointed.

Agree

Thanks God I lost only 2 hours with him. I know Polish businessmen. In fact it was a fraud.

Totally agree.

You guys are being way to harsh from my point of view! It was quite obvious this project needed re-tracking and production work(and to be honest in it's current form wasn't worth the hassle) so I'm not surprised they chose someone from over there to produce and mix the stuff they put out. Come on...most of you just spent a couple of hours on it from what you are saying so it shouldn't be such a big deal(and I know time is money and all that stuff). Maybe some of you did put a lot of work and effort in this but at the end of the day the choice was theirs.

The mix should be perceived as just a fun thing before being perceived as extra income. Most similar threads end up the same way (and I'm not talking about this site in particular)

Totally agree, the choice is theirs, nobody owes anybody work just because they put it up on a forum.

But I'm talking about the way it's presented. Again, not trying to be a buzz-kill, and yeah it's good practice for the more inexperienced dudes too, to get their hands on some files and see what they can come up with. But on a professional level... I'm just trying to paint a picture of how it might be perceived by those who are really trying to make a name and get consistent work, and really make a go of this whole mixing thing. Seeing threads like this are a really exciting prospect when work is thin on the ground, it's a great opportunity, and it's a nice chunk of change to put in your pocket as well as another thing to add to your portfolio - so when it's nonchalantly swept aside it's a little disheartening for those who put the time in and were waiting with bated breath for a decision.

Fuck it, there's nothing you can do about it, no way to police or regulate it, it's gonna happen. I guess I'm just trying to put a voice to the frustration I always see when these things occur. I guess the lesson here is; do the work at your own risk and don't expect anything. If it doesn't turn out to be fruitful just keep your chin up and keep looking for your next client.

/dr phil.

I agree with Mattayus, and I think anyone who "submits" a mix for one of these "competitions" must know they're doing it for fun and would be stupid to hope that the time invested is actually going to be returned. The few times I've done something like this it was because of the practice, not in hopes of getting the job.

It would be hard to regulate them, because the OP could just say "raw tracks to mix for fun, but if you're good enough we might pay you to do the whole album" and it's clear.

I agree with Mattayus, and I think anyone who "submits" a mix for one of these "competitions" must know they're doing it for fun and would be stupid to hope that the time invested is actually going to be returned. The few times I've done something like this it was because of the practice, not in hopes of getting the job.

It would be hard to regulate them, because the OP could just say "raw tracks to mix for fun, but if you're good enough we might pay you to do the whole album" and it's clear.

+1 exactly this!

I must agree with you Mattayus! They did present it as a job opportunity and that was wrong. I also agree that you can't control such threads and every now and again they do pop up and not just on this site and most of the times they end just like this one with the OP saying they've already found someone.