Album Pre Production Test Mix AmericanElectroMetalcore

Pash

Jan 1, 2011
Bournemouth UK
Working on a mix bed for my band's upcoming album. Here's a short clip of a test song, it'd be really cool if you could give me some feedback about how its sounding, really want to get this right.

Really trying to achieve that huge guitar sound, punchy drums and general professional level overall quality.

Thanks in advance guys!

Last edited by a moderator:
damn i dig the snare tone :D
the electronic stuff sounds really rad. any infos on that? what did you use for the e-drums? :)

i think i'd be sound "better" (personal taste) with a more metallic and audible bass that's pushing the guitars

Sounding really awesome so far! Loving the guitar and drum tones. Although I think the snare might have a little too much snap and not enough body, but that's just personal preference I guess :) Would also like to hear a little more definition in the bass, the bass lines are there, just kind of muddy, could also be these crappy speakers :p But overall really digging the vibe, is this for S[T]S?

Thanks so much guys!

The Electronics are literally just Vanguard by Refx and shed loads of automation, Bit Crusher filters, and the Cubase dual filter. The drums are just some samples I have lying around, In fact I'm pretty sure I've got them from this forum. Obviously layered with the generic Slate samples, Kick 10 etc.

Yeah, The bass is literally just a vst called 4Front Bass, replacing it out when we track for real with a UAD Nigel dsp card, I think we're shooting for the Of Mice and Men, The Flood bass tone. Ballsy with that metallic top shining through. Hence why the bass is a bit muddy currently :)

Thanks for the kind words! Any ideas how I can get a bit more body to the snare? Other than reduce the initial transient on it?

Yeah its just a test track in prep for the Saint[the]Sinner full length! :) We're trying to take things much more seriously from now on, I think we're going to be dropping the CD early 2012. So many songs penned for it so far, just a case of picking out 15 tracks to make the final cut.

<3

I still struggle to get the balance right between body and snap on my snares, one of the main reasons I joined this forum. I've found that layering helps alot, and boosting around 100-300Hz seems to add a bit more body, while removing a little around 6kHz seems to take away some of the harshness of the snap while keeping the pop. But then again it all varies from snare to snare :)

Ahh thanks a heap man! :) I'll try that tonight! Im thinking about mixing a massively fat snare sample quite low in the mix alongside it, and I'll try out the EQ settings you recomended too! Thanks alot man! x

Damn Dude! This shit is nice! The only thing i suggest doing, is adding a body to your snare. It's too thin and snappy. Other than that, you're golden! i love the kick. What sample is that? and re-upload it after you make changes. i would love to see how this sounds when its done. Cheers!