Album tone test (Revalver, Impulses, CurveEQ, AD, Drumagog, and a dose of SHRED!

Lowberg

Aug 26, 2004
Rochester, NY
It's a short clip, I know :(

But I am really trying to fine tune the sound of my mix, before I start recording my songs and stuff.

I actually made up this riff just for testing purposes, but with the addition of the leads I might actually have to stick this in a song!

Anyways, I'm going for a melodic death metal rhythm tone, that's heavy and fat but still stays tight for technical stuff.
Some of the bands I'm really into are Children of Bodom, Kalmah, Norther, Arch Enemy, In Flames ect. (I don't want to copy their production sound, but just to give some references to the type of music I write, and how everything would fit together)

So here's the basic lowdown about what's involved
Quad Tracked, Revalver 6505 with impulses and then curve EQ.
Line 6 for the leads and Bass guitar
Drums are Addictive Drums, with the kick replaced, and a snare sample mixed in.

Full Mix Guitars Quad Tracked
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7395622

Full Mix Guitars Double Tracked
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7398038

Guitars Only (Quad Tracked)
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7396814

Let me know what you think, and any tips on how i can improve this mix!

Wow very nice lead, reminds me of an Arch Enemy song.

I think the rhythm guitars are phasing out eachother, giving it a little "can" character. maybe try to eq them a bit different to make .

But you SHOULD definetly do a song with this , awesome shit!

This is the first time I'm messing with using Group Channel's on cubase, and Im sending all the guitars to a stereo group channel, and then putting Curve EQ on the whole group. Maybe that's messing it up a bit?

And yeah, whenever I do something harmonized in that scale/mode (I have no idea if it has a name, it starts on the 5th scale degree of harmonic minor) It ends up sounding like Arch Enemy haha

Here's my revalver preset If anyone was wondering,

revalver.jpg

Hey Alex, sounds good dude, especially the leads (both tone and playing) - I agree about something being a little phasey sounding with the rhythm guitars, though it could just be how they're tweaked (I don't dare judge those Revalver settings without hearing it, cuz my experience with modelers is they behave NOTHING like real amps!)

Wow, the guitars by themselves sound a lot different than in the mix - I feel like the quad-tracking is obscuring note definition; maybe delete two of 'em and go again? (I always prefer double tracking myself)

those leads sound REALLY GOOD
info please!!!

Line 6 Treadplate Dual and a little delay in Cubase, That's it haha

Wow, the guitars by themselves sound a lot different than in the mix - I feel like the quad-tracking is obscuring note definition; maybe delete two of 'em and go again? (I always prefer double tracking myself)

Dual trackinggggg mehhhh!!!!!!!!!!! I really wanted to quad track my songs because there's parts where there are little harmonized lead melodies or octave chord riffs above the main riffs and it sounds weird if i just double track and then add two more "lead riff" tracks as needed

But I'll remix it quick with two just to say i tried...

That's what I always do, and it works for me! (double-tracking with adding the harmonized lead bits as necessary, I mean) Panning them closer to the center (like L50/R50) makes it work better for me, cuz they're more apparently removed from the rhythm parts so it's less confusing when they enter IMO. And I love your reaction :lol: But if you really must quad-track, I guess there's no other way to put it - you gotta play it tighter! :heh: