Albums in conjunction

Thanatopsis123

白鬼
Oct 13, 2002
日本
Visit site
I'm quite tired at the moment but before I drop off, I'd like to ask a quick question.

We have often spoken of listening to songs in conjunction, that is, listening to songs together, usually in the form of an album. I believe I've seen this referred to on these boards as listening to things in context. I think we can all think of songs that work better in the context of a full album. Do you, however, have any full albums that you listen to in conjunction? I'd never really given it any thought but as Morte Macabre slid into Espers, I thought "Damn, that worked well." I'm not simply speaking of queuing up albums that evoke a similar atmosphere. I felt they complimented each other.

I'll see if this makes any sense after I've gotten a little sleep. :tickled:

No, not that I can think of right now anyway. But that's not so much because there aren't any albums that wouldn't work together for me, but due to the fact that I very rarely/never listen to more than on album (attentivly) in a row.

For me, I have a small selection of albums that work in conjunction with Weiland. I kinda wanked all over it in my old review.

Note the metaphoric contrasts, where for example, AGALLOCH’s Of Stone, Wind, and Pillor personifies the impetus of autumn creeping into winter, trundling along a yarn by Yeats and Weiland arrives to close the book to let sleep and mourn the inhabitants of the land. Likewise, ULVER’s Kveldssanger brings forth the folklore of a winter mountain setting at daybreak and Weiland sits at the foot of that hill, entrenched within its own forestry and water-smoothed river stones. To surmise, if there is energy that flows between these entities, that mystic dissipation magnificently captured on TENHI’s Vare would accompany the fluttering of Weiland’s water and forest spirits.

Brave Murder Day into Dance of December Souls (until after without god where I turn them off).

Otherwise, not really. Generally I find an album to akin to a "thought" or a "feeling"... generally requiring a new one afterwards. It's very rare I'll listen to 2 or 3 doom albums in a row for example, Usually it would be a doom album, then a black metal/Dark Ambient/neo-folk album, then back again. It all depends.