Demilich, I invite you in

Let me know what you think!

I'm starting to get into a lot of the unereleased songs on there now. Robin is such a fucking genius its not fair whatsoever :lol: I can't believe I used to like Mike's songs better! But hey, they're both incredible.

check out Ring Dance, Long Long Road, Living in the Shadows, Fine Fingered Hands, Theta, Jane, etc.

There are many 'sides' to the band that you see here much moreso than on their studio albums. Their catalogue continues to impress with its range of styles.

Demilich or Ellestin or whoever else has posts in this thread.

GARY HIGGINS, new album. First since "Red Hash" (1973). Here's a review: http://www.tinymixtapes.com/Gary-Higgins

Are these ancient folkies suddenly re-forming JUST BECAUSE OF THREADS LIKE THESE? (see: Comus, Vashti Bunyan, Gary Higgins, Simon Finn....)

It would be cool if Spirogyra did so. Along with JDDG. Just sayin'.

Interesting review. I don't keep my hopes too high for ths album but I'll hunt it down in time. Vashti Bunyan's new album sound identical to what she did back in the days, with a slightly more "adult" grip on things.

Does anyone have any clue whether Comus are going to compose a new album? I found their new song "Out of the Coma" rather charming and pretty strong!

Demilich you utter poof. You were asking me about Black Rebel Motorcycle Club.

Dylan worshipping rock and roll, with all the classic essentials in place. It grooves hard, and I think you should get BRMC, Baby 81 and Howl, then listen to them repeatedly in awesome situations that call for much beer and smoke.

Demilich, Ellestin etc may find ANIMAL COLLECTIVE - Sung Tongs to their liking. Great album, often thrown in with the "freak-folk scene" (whatever that is/was) and pretty much the only album they released in this style. Very lysergic and sinister, all acoustic guitars, harmonized vocals and weird noises.

Kinda Comus-sounding in this one....

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyrRuLV1oeY&feature=related[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
Checkin' it now!

By the way, I finally downloaded all these:

Broselmaschine - Broselmaschine
Emtidi - Saat
Pearls Before Swine - My Bloody Underground
Pearls Before Swine - These Things Too
Kalacakra - Crawling to Lhasa
Mick Stevens - See the Morning

Big can o' worms right there....

Those Animal Collective tracks are cool. I'd only heard Merriweather Post Pavillion - looks like I might have to check out the earlier stuff now too.

Has anyone seen Grizzly Bear live? Are they as amazing as I expect they would be? I just found out they are playing here next week, would be a nice addition to a week in which I am already seeing LCD Soundsystem!

Disgustipated said:
Those Animal Collective tracks are cool. I'd only heard Merriweather Post Pavillion - looks like I might have to check out the earlier stuff now too.

They are truly one of the best bands ever but BEWARE. Every album is different, and some of their stuff is very.... out there. I'd suggest previewing each album before making any purchases.

Has anyone seen Grizzly Bear live? Are they as amazing as I expect they would be? I just found out they are playing here next week, would be a nice addition to a week in which I am already seeing LCD Soundsystem!

Yep, saw both of those bands at Coachella. Grizzly Bear are exactly what you'd expect: they play their songs impeccably (sometimes I almost consider them a prog rock band) without any nonsense, but don't expect to be headbanging or moving around much. LCD, on the other hand, will melt your fucking face off. Take ecstasy.

There is a [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Strange-Terrain-Jan-Dukes-Grey/dp/B0035KGDYO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1285624949&sr=1-3"]new JDDG album????[/ame] WHAT????

cover_55121482010.jpg

EDIT: I now see that this is their "long lost third album." Anyone heard it?

"Import release of the long-lost unreleased third album from the Acid Folk outfit. Responsible for two of the strangest, most beguiling albums of the early 1970s, Jan Dukes de Grey have long been a legendary name on the Prog/Folk/Psych collector circuit. Jan Dukes had actually gone on to record this third album that had failed to appear at the time, largely due to the emergence of punk and the ensuing Collapse of Western Civilization As We Know It. And here it is, complete with a handful of bonus tracks cut during the same timeframe (including the novelty single 'Standing In A Little 'Ole', issued under the band's Punk-era pseudonym Rip Snorter). Recorded across 1976-77 under a production deal with Pink Floyd (Roger Waters produced and mixed two of the tracks), Strange Terrain reflects Derek Noy's desire to approach each album as a separate project rather than endlessly remake the same record. Dark, somber and mysterious, Strange Terrain retains the boundless spirit of adventure and idiosyncratic approach to music-making that characterized their earlier albums. Cherry Tree. 2010."

WHUTTTTTTTTT?!?!?

f-a-11-0-1-seasons-they-change.jpg

In the late ‘60s and early ‘70s, the inherent weirdness of folk met switched-on psychedelic rock and gave birth to new, strange forms of acoustic-based avant-garde music. Artists on both sides of the Atlantic, including The Incredible String Band, Vashti Bunyan, Pearls Before Swine and Comus, combined sweet melancholy and modal melody with shape-shifting experimentation to create sounds of unsettling oddness categorized as acid or psych folk. In the mid-2000s, a new generation of artists collectively tagged New Weird America and spearheaded by Devendra Banhart, Espers, and Joanna Newsom rediscovered and renewed acid and psych folk Seasons They Change tells the story of the birth, death, and resurrection of this genre. It explores the careers of the original wave of artists and their contemporary equivalents, finding connections between the generations and uncovering a previously hidden narrative of musical adventure.

366pgs
Jawbone Press (January 1, 2011)

Review

Has I's died and gone to heavun?

Yeah I'm gonna be right on ordering that as well. Though that Davendra Banhart guy can fuck himself right in the ear. Especially for butchering a COB song.

I really haven't heard much of the modern stuff that compares to the 60s at all. Animal Collective sounded alright from what you've posted in the past (I think you have, anyhow) but something's missing. Espers I really need to hear. Any other ideas?

edit: I forgot Plants. They might be as close as I think I've gotten to a modern band touching the psych-folk sounds of the 60s.

I really haven't heard much of the modern stuff that compares to the 60s at all. Animal Collective sounded alright from what you've posted in the past (I think you have, anyhow) but something's missing. Espers I really need to hear. Any other ideas?

Yeah, the comparison is pretty loose. The only real AC album that could be considered "psych folk" is Sung Tongs, and maybe Campfire Songs (which technically isn't even an "AC album proper," since it was released as a sort of one-off deal). Dunno. Check out the youtube links above. They also released an EP with Vashti Bunyan. That, along with a prevalence of all things lysergic and weird, is pretty much where the similarities end. That said, Animal Collective are eight jillion times better than just about any band mentioned in this thread ('cept for Comus).

You may dig Joanna Newsom's album Ys, but watch out. It's pretty impenetrable, pretentious and verbose.

Uhhhh... That's pretty much all I can think off right off the top of my head. Will brainstorm later.

That said, Animal Collective are eight jillion times better than just about any band mentioned in this thread ('cept for Comus).

I'll take whatever drugs you were on when you wrote this absurdity!
I am listening to these youtube links now, however.

edit:

Ok I'm liking The Softest Voice a lot.