Demilich, I invite you in

This GANDALF THE GREY album is teh funny, and actually pretty damn good.

I downloaded that a long time ago for pure LOL value, thought it was kinda lacking, but I keep it on my Ipod in case I ever need to be taken down a couple pegs in the social heirarchy by anyone who happens to be browsing my music selection

rne.jpg

This is so so good! So many musical influences! Thank you!

Loving the jazzy section in Serenade Central.

TEA AND SYMPHONY = :ill:
MOONKYTE = :cool:
PRINCIPAL EDWARDS MAGIC THEATRE = :erk:
BREAD, LOVE AND DREAMS = decent enough. They're best when they get all poppy with the string arrangements.

Gonna check out GARY HIGGINS next.

I'm here for you, man.

This "Red Hash" is another great discovery. Thanks! Though the sound quality sucks kinda on these files..... Are there better versions out there? Since finding the LP is out of the question....

Hmmm. I actually kind of like The Hangman's Beautiful Daughter. The drugs have definitely set in.

Well, I've finished my epic psych-folk spree. These are the albums I find to best fit my tastes:

BRÖSELMASCHINE - s/t
FUCHSIA - s/t
HÖLDERLIN - Hölderlins Traum
MELLOW CANDLE - Swaddling Songs
INCREDIBLE STRING BAND - The Hangman's Beautiful Daughter
SIMON FINN - Pass The Distance
SUBWAY - s/t
FAIRPORT CONVENTION - Unhalfbricking
TRADER HORNE - Morning Way
CAROL OF HARVEST - s/t
SYNANTHESIA - s/t
GARY HIGGINS - Red Hash
MOONKYTE - Count Me Out
PERRY LEOPOLD - Christian Lucifer
SPIROGYRA - St. Radigunds
TREES - The Garden Of Jane Delawney*
JAN DUKES DE GREY - Mice And Rats In The Loft*
COMUS - First Utterance*

*already worshipped

Oh, and I also made a mix featuring my favorite songs from the albums that didn't make the cut. It's pretty good.

FOREST – “Graveyard”
FOREST – “Fading Light”
EMTIDI – “Love Time Rain”
EMTIDI – “Saat”
ISB – “The Tree”
JUST OTHERS – “Ballad Of A Londoner”
PEARLS BEFORE SWINE – “I Saw The World”
COB – “Heart Dancer”
TREES – “Streets Of Derry”
ISB – “Gently Tender”
PRINCIPAL EDWARDS MAGIC THEATRE – “Autumn Lady Dancing”
BREAD LOVE AND DREAMS – “Virgin Kiss”
TEA AND SYMPHONY – “Winter”
DANDO SHAFT – “River Boat”
DR. STRANGELY STRANGE – “Tale Of Two Orphanages”
DULCIMER – “Fruit Of The Musical Tree”
FRESH MAGGOTS – “Spring”

My favourite Emtidi song would be "Touch the Sun". Instant classic, gorgeous vocals and the old Pink Floyd vibe. I'm surprised you did not mention it. Then again, great lists, gotta check those Moonkyte and Trader Horne now!

I kinda find the longer tracks on that Emtidi album to be somewhat-boring and borderline artless (and also not psych-folk!) :p

The Chelsea Sessions 1967 has some of my fav ISB songs and seems pretty overlooked, so check it out too.

Hey, anyone still care about the pinkage music?

Ellestin and any other fags out there, I just bought a copy of the ISB's Across the Airwaves 2cd of live material from their BBC sessions. (most of which were with John Peel, some with others of whom I know nothing)

I haven't absorbed all of it yet, but I'll point out the highlights and maybe upload something if anyone cares

Disc 1 1 Bright Morning Stars Live 1:45
2 Worlds They Rise and Fall Live 5:45 (decent version of this Liquid Acrobat staple with the (less than stellar) Malcolm LeMaistre on lead vocals)
3 Spirit Beautiful Live 4:02 (nice version of this song later recorded for Mike Heron's solo debut Smiling Men with Bad Reputations
4 Willow Pattern Live 5:08
5 Turquoise Blue Live 5:49
6 Whistle Tune Live 4:31
7 Darling Belle Live 12:26 (never my favourite of the ISB epics, I do like Licorice's vocal performance here)
8 You've Been a Friend to Me Live 3:27
9 I Know That Man Live 3:08
10 The Old Buccaneer Live 5:29
11 Black Jack David Live 2:49 (best version is still the original from I Looked Up, this is decent)
12 The Circle Is Unbroken previously unreleased 7:06 (beautiful version of one of my favourite R. Williamson compositions, love the flute/organ interplay)
13 Fine Fingered Hands previously unreleased 6:30
14 Everything's Fine Right Now previously unreleased 3:52 (decent, sound is a bit shit, nothing on the original version from the s/t)
15 Raga Puti previously unreleased 3:55
16 Empty Pocket Blues previously unreleased 3:53

Disc 2
1 All Writ Down previously unreleased 5:28 (Mike throws in a different verse than the album version... Robin on electric guitar I believe, sounds nice)
2 Dust Be Diamonds previously unreleased 4:49 (I kinda like this re-working better than the studio version from Changing Horses
3 Theta previously unreleased 1:49 (pretty song, not much else to say for now)
4 Beautiful Stranger previously unreleased 5:02 (another Mike Heron tune later recorded for his solo debut, good version)
5 Won't You Come See Me previously unreleased 4:14
6 Oh Did I Love a Dream previously unreleased 5:41
7 Secret Temple previously unreleased 4:58 (Licorice's last song before quitting the band, pretty good one)
8 Rends-Moi Demain 3:18 (Robin later recorded this French song on his solo debut Myrrh)
9 Dreams of No Return 5:31
10 Jane 4:21 (kind of a weird, more rock-influenced song by Mike)
11 Dear Old Battlefield 3:08 (solid interpretation of this one!)
12 Log Cabin Home in the Sky Live 3:23 (I quite like what this later version of the ISB did with this tune)
13 1968 Live 6:08 (absolute highlight of the set for me, stellar composition by Mike Heron reflecting on his friendship with Robin and what I believe may have been the best musical duo this side of Lennon and McCartney that latter half of the 20th century has known)
14 Hangman's Medley 8:19 (different takes on bits and pieces of The Hangman's Beautiful Daughter, with parts of Koeeaddi There, A Very Cellular Song, etc. - worth a listen!)
15 Ring Dance previously unreleased 3:53 (later recorded by Robin for one of his many solo albums in the 90s)
16 Long Long Road previously unreleased 3:33 (haven't focused on this or the next one yet)
17 Living in the Shadows previously unreleased 3:10

Overall, solid and interesting collection, gives a bit of a window into how experimental these guys were. They rarely played their more popular songs live, preferring to re-work older material and play new or unreleased stuff. There are a wealth of different instruments played on here, as well as many of the band's various lineups showing. They were at their peak, I believe, with just Mike and Robin, but the ladies really were a strong component of the band for a couple of years!

I might just have to get this, thanks for the throrough descriptions ! :kickass:

PS: The Circle is Unbroken is also one of my favourite ISB songs by now. Kind of an epitome of what the band is/was about

I've also got a cool version of Circle is Unbroken from the 90s probably with Mike Heron and his daughter on some radio show, where he also talks about Woodstock etc!