Albums of the year in Terrorizer.

requiem

I bleed sir, but not killed
Jul 6, 2001
Australia
Has anyone else noticed that 'Last Fair Deal Gone Down' was voted in at number 8 of 2001 by the readers Terrorizer?

Pretty good?

Well, the writers of Terrorizer, who also hold their own poll, didn't even think the album worthy of a top 40 placing!:mad:

Can you fucking believe it? In 1999 'Tonight's Decision' was number 3 I think, and the album of their careers doesn't even make the top 40....

I would hope that the writers' decision would be due to the fact that Katatonia isn't purely "metal" anymore, rather than the quality of the music, which is still rather amazing. However, the fact that Tonight's Decision ranked so high makes me rather uneasy as that album wasn't much more "metal" than LFDGD.

yeah, i voted Katatonia for the best album, and live aperance too, anything that could have gone for katatonia i voted for.

the thing with the writers is that they only listen to albums once or twice, as theres so many to get through, for me LFDGD takes about 5 listens before you realise its the best album of the year, along with opeth that is.

Terrorizer sucks anyway. I wouldn't worry about it. When it comes to music, the critics don't mean shit since it's the FANS that give a band life.

Yeah, I agree with Endtime. The mag is not what it used to be! A few years ago, whatever they said could pretty much be taken as gospel (I discovered soooooo many great bands thanks to the likes of Greg Whalen and that Tipton guy). Now I disagree with pretty much every album review, and alot of the opinions ventured by the writers in interviews are somewhat questionable (like, don't praise an artist for being creative in an interview, and slam their album in the review, in the same issue!! I laugh when they do that). All the people I respected have left. I only read it in the shop now, and don't take it seriously.

I also agree.

I don´t trust what reviewers say about music anymore. Music is too much of a personal thing.

Some use that moronic idea that Katatonia don´t know how to play and than Renkse can´t sing. Apart from being complete bullshit for the last 7 years, it doesn´t mean shit. They´re good even out of tune, which is something you can´t say for 99% of the bands out there.

It's hard to find unbiased reviews. Nowadays, reviews are nothing more than one guy's opinion. With Terrorizer, I never read and older issues. I read a couple from April 2000 and August 2000 and I wasn't really impressed. I really wanted to puke when they had that Pantera and Satyricon article!

yeah about a few months before Terrorizer got really shit, i posted saying its gonna get complete bollocks and kerrang standard soon, and wow, i was right. its complete and utter bollocks now, i heard theres a new editor, thats probably why. lets add that to my prediction of an opeth mellow/no growls album. :D

Yes, but MM has always been a bit dodgy. A few years ago it would have 'Superstar Special' on the cover, and 'Totally Extreme!' as well, like it was Hit Parader (heh, another magazine I used to think was awesome...) or something :lol:
Looking at the writers top 10s for the year, some of them were a bit fucked up too.

Yeah. She was anti-death metal too, and made some comments about Deicide, which led to the band refusing to give them interviews for years.

I just read the latest Terrorizer (the one that started this thread). Man, it may be the last time I read it.... some of those choices were horrendous. Warhorse got in at #14. I listened to it in the shop, and it was crap. Weak doom, with happy riffs and no atmosphere, come on........
And Thorns for #2????!!!!

Originally posted by hornblow555
I would hope that the writers' decision would be due to the fact that Katatonia isn't purely "metal" anymore, rather than the quality of the music, which is still rather amazing.

Well, Radiohead came in at number 27 so I don't think their problem is whether it's metal or not. I think they just really fucked up because the new Anathema isn't in there either and Judgement came in at 2 or 4 or something in '99.

4 of the Readers top 10 didn't make the writers top 40. I think that says something...

Originally posted by yourdeadgroom
Anathema didn't make it cause the new one sucks. The writers were quite correct to ignore it.

:p :p ;) :lol: :lol:
*gently gnaws on Requiem's leg*

Very cheeky....:cool:

I also think that Terrorizer's days were best in 1997-1999(so many good albums!) and I also got myself little bit hurt when I saw there is no Katatonia in Writers' Poll.
They rated Katatonia's LFDGD with 9.5 and Opeth's BWP with 9 in the SAME issue, and now Opeth is on #3 and there is no Katatonia in 40 places!!!

I wrote them a letter about this and I'm not sure if they have published it, because they haven't send me their latest issue yet!
I am subscribed to this magazine, and the Chuck-issue should be out on February 15th and I still haven't got it!

That speaks enough of their responsibility....

Terrorizer's best days were with Gregory Whalen & Nick Terry...
One of the new guys, Nick Moberly is also good, but he is often very harsh in every review he writes(just look at the last Emperor interview and his repentance for giving Peccatum's Amor Fati 4.5/10!)...

It is good though that we(the K. fans and real music/metal lovers)
know what is good....

cheerz

PS Radiohead's lame Amnesiac on#27 and Emperor's Prometheus on #28???
Thorns is Shit, it is on #2 just because it is black metal (and isn't "so overrated" as Dimmu Borgir, Zyklon or Cradle of Filth)...

Really odd was when Terrorizer was praising Akercocke´s Goat of Mendes nearly as the best album the year...The band sucks hairy donkey balls!!!

Originally posted by StorTroll
Really odd was when Terrorizer was praising Akercocke´s Goat of Mendes nearly as the best album the year...The band sucks hairy donkey balls!!!

Hmm. From what I've heard of Akercocke, I think they're ok... but I think even subjective fans of the band wouldn't pump them up as much as Terrorizer has!! They fucking love them.

It's really quite bizarre.

I'm having trouble sleeping at night... why wasn't it in the top 40 I perpetually ask myself... what went wrong?... why is this happening?... ad infinitum.