Albums that stand the test of time.

S4R

gooey
Sep 7, 2001
.il.us
Post your list of albums that continually stand the test of time.

My immediate and incomplete list:

Pink Floyd-Wish You Were Here
Led Zeppelin-In Through the Out Door
Kansas-Leftoverture
Rush-Hemispheres
Genesis-Selling England by the Pound

Candlemass - Nightfall
Crumbsuckers - Life Of Dreams
Celtic Frost - To Mega Therion
Hanoi Rocks - Two Steps..
Slayer - Reign In Blood
Dark Angel - Darkness Decends
Head Of David - Dustbowl

There's tons more, but these are a few I feel still sound as fresh today as when I first got 'em

continued:

Yes-Tales from Topographic Oceans
The Who-Tommy
The Beatles-Revolver
King Crimson-Larks' Tongues in Aspic

pink floyd - the wall, animals, piper at the gates of dawn, ummagumma, dark side of the moon, obscured by clouds...

opeth - still life

beatles - abbey road, rubber soul, revolver

bob dylan - highway 61 revisited, blonde on blonde, freewheelin'

dEUS - in a bar, under the sea

the cure - disintegration

massive attack - mezzanine

the smiths - hatful of hollow, the queen is dead

smashing pumpkins - siamese dream

there are many more perhaps...

Smashing Pumpkins: Mellon Collie and The Infinite Sadness
Moonspell: Irreligious
Garbage: Garbage
Misery Loves Co.: All...
Metallica: Ride The Lightning
Paradise Lost: Draconian Times
Gary Moore: Wild Frontier
Queensrÿche: Operation:Mindcrime

Too many to mention....
but anyway i will mention just one which is a very good example of good music which always have something new to give you after every listening (Just like the Opeth albums do :) ) :

Arcturus-La Masquerade Infernale

a milestone..... :hotjump:

I can't look at it by album, but to me, there are a handful of bands today that show they've sttod the test of time. I can't pick by album because all these bands have songs played from various albums they have, and I hear them frequently:

Led Zeppelin
The Rolling Stones
Aerosmith
Metallica
The Beatles
Pink Floyd

and honorable mention to:
The Who
Jimi Hendrix

1 Opeth- Still Life
This has been the greatest album i've ever listened to. Meaning from the beginning to the end. An awesome concept. I would cut off my fucking legs to have the ability to write an album like this.
2 Pink Floyd- The Wall
This is the stuff of legends. I have debated in my mind on which of these two albums (Still Life and The Wall) is superior in concept. I do have to say Still Life is. The Wall is an album i've been listening to for 10 years at least( Im 22). It is epitome of concept albums. I know every note and every lyric by heart. This album will always be around. It has gotten the reconition it deserves ( unlike Still Life).

I personally beleive every album should be a concept album, not just a collection of songs. These are the only two albums I know of that truly do this. If anyone knows of any other albums ( No ziggy stardust shit) that have great concepts and kick ass music let me know.

Originally posted by Hail Eris!
I personally beleive every album should be a concept album, not just a collection of songs. These are the only two albums I know of that truly do this. If anyone knows of any other albums ( No ziggy stardust shit) that have great concepts and kick ass music let me know.

I hear that pain of salvation write good concept albums. Unfortuneately I haven´t heard them but they are swedish (that should count for something almost every band from Sweden kicks ass) And aslo Meshugga (chaosphere is supposed to be a concept album)

Metallica - 1st 3 albums
Slayer - 1st 4 albums
Iron Maiden - 1st few albums
Pink Floyd - id say anything the wall and before and the divison bell
Led Zeppelin - all
Black Sabbath - 1st 4 albums
The Doors - The Doors...
The Who....
The Beatles...
Celtic Frost...
Bathory...
Jimi Hendrix...
Rush....

just too many bands and albums

!us nioj

NP: Mordid Angel - At One With Nothing

I could list several but the few that came to mind right away are

Acid Bath-When the Kite String Pops (i think i'm the only one who talks about them:( :confused: )

Anathema-all

Opeth-all

Katatonia-all

Jeff Buckley-Grace

Hum-all

RWAKE-all (if they play anywhere near you GO SEE THEM)

Type O Negative-(going to sleep to) October Rust

Misfits-all

Cannibal Corpse-all

.....................and many many more..........
jAY

Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath, Paranoid, Master Of Reality, Vol 4, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, Sabotage

Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden, Killers, The Number Of The Beast, Piece Of Mind, Powerslave, Live After Death, Somewhere In Time, Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son

Judas Priest - Sad Wings Of Desitny, Stained Class, British Steel, Defenders Of The Faith, Painkiller

Slayer - Reign In Blood, Seasons In The Abyss

Mercyful Fate - Melissa, Don´t Break The Oath

King Diamond - Fatal Portrait, Abigail, Them, The Eye

Manowar - Hail To England

Dream Theater - Images And Words, Awake

Queensrÿche - Operation:Mindcrime

Opeth - Orchid, Morningrise, Still Life

Metallica - Kill Èm All, Ride The Lightning, Master Of Puppets

Dissection - The Somberlain, Storm Of The Light´s Bane

Emperor - Anthems To The Welkin At Dusk

Machine Head - Burn My Eyes

Originally posted by leadfoot256
I could list several but the few that came to mind right away are

Acid Bath-When the Kite String Pops (i think i'm the only one who talks about them:( :confused: )

Whoa! I am a huge Acid Bath fan. A friend of mine got me into them a few years ago because he used to live near New Orleans, which is where they are from. I wasn't sure about mentioning here, but I think they were really great. It's really sad that Audie(the bassist) died. The band broke up and several members formed other bands that really weren't as good. Sammy Duet was in the band. He is a member of Crowbar and Goatwhore.

They are becoming more and more popular. There is not really that much merchandise out there since their record label didn't support them very much. I was lucky enough to get a really rare concert tee shirt that they printed themselves. I also got an original demo tape from 1993 before they were signed to Rotten Records. I paid a lot for it, but I believe it was well worth it.

There is just something about their music. It is not as complex as Opeth or very similar I guess. However, there are clean and death vocals and some all acoustic songs. So, I guess they are similar in a way. I just think this band was very amazing. I listen to them equally as much as Opeth.

I have searched all over for rare stuff. I was lucky enough to find some people with some videos and audio. There is really not that much out there about them. They only had two albums that were very controversial because of the cover art drawn by serial killer John Wayne Gacy and Jack Kevorkian.

I could go on for a while. I just think they were an amazing band, and it's really sad that they weren't around much longer. I would have loved to have seen them perform.

I'll stick to metal for the most part:

Iron Maiden- Everything through Seventh Son
Rush- all 70's and early 80's albums
Metallica- everything through Justice
Megadeth- Peace Sells through Countdown to Extinction
Mercyful Fate as well as King Diamond's 80's releases
Black Sabbath- everything through Mob Rules
Early Paradise Lost
Early My Dying Bride
Ozzy- everything through The Ultimate Sin
Opeth- Orchid, Morningrise, MAYH
Slayer- Show No Mercy, Hell Awaits, Reign In Blood
Early Celtic Frost
Venom
Iced Earth- Night of the Stormrider and Burnt Offerings
Dio- Holy Diver, Last In Line
Type O- Bloody Kisses, October Rust
Dream Theater- Images and Words, Awake
Morbid Angel- Blessed Are the Sick
Amorphis- Tales From the Thousand Lakes

I suppose that's all I'll offer for now...