10. Speed Of Life
11. Letter To The Future

Label: Relapse Records
Release date: 2003
Artistsite:
http://www.alchemist.com.au/

GRADE:
9.5/10

I foresee Austral Alien in a lot of people's year end lists. ALCHEMIST hails from Austrailia and this is their second release for Relapse Records, following up the impressive Organasm. Their brand of progressive meets NEUROSIS is a heady mixture and takes a few listens to soak it all in. The rewards one will reap upon doing so are tenfold. This and the new HASTE are quickly becoming my underdog cds of the year.

"First Contact" is spacey sounding, yet heavy and groovin'. I challenge you to keep you're head from bobbing to the kickdrums of "Great Southern Wasteland." "Solarburn" is one of my absolute favorites musically. I love the guitars and the trippy effects. "Alpha Cappella Nova Vega" is like a psychedelic heavy CURE without the heavy... Hell I don't know, I'm starting to pull 'em out of my ass aren't !? "Speed Of Life" was made for headphones, take one listen and you'll know what I mean. Final track "Letter To The Future" is another really memorable song that sticks in my head long after the cd is over.

All I know is that I enjoy Austral Alien quite a bit! Also, to fully appreciate this band, one must read their lyrics as they are very good. Particularly the lyrics of "Nature On A Leash," which delve into man's on again, off again relationship with nature. I have yet to hear the majority of their earlier material as it is hard to come by and goes for pretty decent prices on eBay. However, based on the three releases I have heard and own, it's safe to say ALCHEMIST are on the right path. Beautifully packaged artwise and sonically breathtaking, Austral Alien is a sure bet for a top spot in 2003.

PJ