alesis Trigger IO

The Alesis Trigger I/O is perfect for what I'm trying to do right now, which is just run an electronic drumset *or* DDrum Triggers on an acoustic set straight into my Mac and trigger DFHS/EZD/DFH EZX. Right now I'm using the Alesis DM-5 that came with the e-kit, but I only use it for trigger->MIDI conversion. The samples in the unit are incredibly horrid compared to DFHS/EZD sounds, heh.

~e.a

The Alesis Trigger I/O is perfect for what I'm trying to do right now, which is just run an electronic drumset *or* DDrum Triggers on an acoustic set straight into my Mac and trigger DFHS/EZD/DFH EZX. Right now I'm using the Alesis DM-5 that came with the e-kit, but I only use it for trigger->MIDI conversion. The samples in the unit are incredibly horrid compared to DFHS/EZD sounds, heh.

~e.a

Thats exactly what im doing with drums right now. How are your attemps going?

So far I had a drummer friend come over and jam on it and he's very picky about playing e-kits and all he had to say was "this is fucking awesome dude." I think his hatred for e-kits in the past was due to using only the drum module's sounds, which are honestly just shit. I think a dose of EZD, DFH EZX, and DFHS being triggered from the kit changed his mind, :)

So far everything comes out amazingly well. The DFH EZX is kind of disappointing only because it simply isn't as elaborate as DFHS and even EZD as far as layers are concerned, however it has them available even though it's few and it works out great. All of the velocities translate perfectly. The only complaint I have is how the hats perform, and it's due to the pad on the e-kit only, not the DM-5's fault, or anything else. Just the pad for the hats. However, the DM-5 doesn't allow the use of anything other than a GM map, so utilizing all of the hat "notes" for DFHS and EZD is out of the question. With a Roland TD-8 or TD-20, on the other hand, you can use any of the hat samples in the library, provided the pad you are using can handle it.

So far the DM-5 is proving to be extremely useful and performs great. I'm thinking later on I will upgrade the module to something like a TD-20 once I get more into it, but for now the DM-5 is superb.

Using a double pedal on the single kick pad, expect some cleaning up on the MIDI once it's time to do all the editing. Two single pedals and two kick pads are ideal for using the double pedal method, but a double pedal on one pad will work.

I tested the velocity translation of each pad using EZD and at first I tried letting the stick just lightly bounce on the pad, like when you do a ghost note on the snare. Each little tiny hit was picked up and didn't miss anything. It went from the initial hit being the highest velocity, all the way to the most miniscule last one.

Here is a clip of me messing around with it. I'm not really a drummer (although I can play Weezer/Green Day stuff...don't laugh) but this is just to show the velocity response from the Hart pads and DM-5.

Eventually I will stop being lazy and post the stuff my friend did last week.

~e.a

So EA. This should deliver the same results as plugging triggers straight into say a firepod and running drumagog or something. This will free up i/o's on the mic pre/interface correct?

Transcended: Yeah man. And honestly, I think running DFHS/EZD live with the MIDI input might take less resources than Drumagog, LOL. I'm waiting for the Mackie Onyx 1200F to come out (should be soon), it has 12 pres and like two MIDI I/O. When it does I'm getting it and a full set of DDrum Pro triggers (2 kick, snare, 5 toms) and running them into the DM-5 -> Mackie, and mic'ing up OH left, OH right, hats, and ride using the Mackie's pres. That's a huge drumset, and I still have 8 pres to use for guitars, vox, bass, etc. all at the same time. If I had to run the triggers into the Mackie via XLR/TRS, I would have zero inputs left for something like scratch guitar for the drums to play with, etc. since 8 inputs would be taken by triggers, and 4 by the mics for the cymbals.

~e.a

Transcended: Yeah man. And honestly, I think running DFHS/EZD live with the MIDI input might take less resources than Drumagog, LOL. I'm waiting for the Mackie Onyx 1200F to come out (should be soon), it has 12 pres and like two MIDI I/O. When it does I'm getting it and a full set of DDrum Pro triggers (2 kick, snare, 5 toms) and running them into the DM-5 -> Mackie, and mic'ing up OH left, OH right, hats, and ride using the Mackie's pres. That's a huge drumset, and I still have 8 pres to use for guitars, vox, bass, etc. all at the same time. If I had to run the triggers into the Mackie via XLR/TRS, I would have zero inputs left for something like scratch guitar for the drums to play with, etc. since 8 inputs would be taken by triggers, and 4 by the mics for the cymbals.

~e.a

This is exactly what i been looking for. :)