Alexi's gear/rigs are up for auction

Imo, these things up for auction doesn't really embody Alexi in any way. They were just his tools. He had 3 JVM410H, so its not like they were super special to him.
One could copy his rig for as little as 2310€. What was most special about it in this day and age is how little fx he has, and that its an actual amp and not a modeller.
It does however speak volumes about his creative genius.

Does anyone know what has become of his old rack stuff? Did he sell it or keep it around?

Did he have a ton of debt or something? Why the rush to sell off all his stuff lol
He probably didn't have much if any debt, as he'd been bankrolling a couple hundred thousand euros per year.
But since his amps can't pay their rent without heir human master, they have to find another place to live now.

I don't think 4 months is a rush. They just have to make space, and why not start with stuff that doesn't matter as much.

Edit: they should have called the album Hatecrew Bankroll, as it was this that finally broke them onto international fame.

Nothing wrong with selling his stuff now. Before folks forget all about Alexi. I mean they have to also do something with wherever he lived and if this stuff is sitting there, it's gotta go. At least the prices are reasonable for the amps.

Nothing wrong with selling his stuff now. Before folks forget all about Alexi.

I don't think anyone is going to end up forgetting about him. Hell, if anything I'd expect his popularity to start to soar more now. Dude was the real deal all the way up until his death. Call me a fanboy, but he's going to be right up there with legends like Rhoads, Wylde, and Yngwie in terms of credibility on his instrument alone. The man was an icon. He won't easily be forgotten, he'll be celebrated for a long time.

Reactions: COB-666
I don't think anyone is going to end up forgetting about him. Hell, if anything I'd expect his popularity to start to soar more now. Dude was the real deal all the way up until his death. Call me a fanboy, but he's going to be right up there with legends like Rhoads, Wylde, and Yngwie in terms of credibility on his instrument alone. The man was an icon. He won't easily be forgotten, he'll be celebrated for a long time.
Amen!

Reactions: Works0fheart
As much as I wished it were true, every one is going to forget about him. The amount of people that remember Randy Rhoads is actually tiny. Either fans of Osbourne or guitar players. And Children of Bodom was even more niche than them. So everyone but a few select metalheads will forget about him, give it just a few decades and you'll see. He probably won't even be considered an influential guitarist by then as people will remember much better guitarists in the same genre.
Just to name a few big names, there's rarely ever a mention of Lemmy or Malcolm Young, and both were musical giants (popularity wise, not technically).
People tend to remember the really big stars: Elvis Presley, John Lennon, Freddie Mercury, etc.
Or people who've had tragic ends: Kurt Cobain, Dimebag Darrell, etc.

Sadly, Laiho was in neither categories.

No. Can't agree with that.

Alexi was by far more famous than Randy.

The thing is, there were heaps of very good guitarists in the 70s/80s and 90s. But they all come from one era. Satriani, Rhoads, Mustaine, Dimebag, Malmsteen, Gilbert, Abbot, Vai, Petrucci, Wylde, etc.
All famous guitarists of the 80s/90s.

But how many in that category have there been in the last 20 years?

Name me one (successful) metal band in the last 20 years that didn't grow up listening to Children Of Bodom, and name me one guitarist in the last 20 years that wasn't influenced by Alexi in some way.

There are many who are better. But have you ever met someone between 20-40 who said his idol is Gus G? Or who would like to be a successful Youtuber like Ola? Or whose band would be influenced by Teemu?

Alexi was the most influential metal guitarist of the last 20 years. This will not change in the near future and no one will add to it in the next 10 years.

Dunno mate, I get the impression Children Of Bodom was never that huge a band. Most of the tours they did someone else headlined
have you ever met someone between 20-40 who said his idol is Gus G?
not really, and myself - until recently I didn't even know who the guy is. But on the other hand, I know a lot of metalheads between 20-40 who either don't like Bodom or never listened to it.

As much as I like Alexi, he's not more famous than Randy. And I suspect, so far, Alexi isn't all that influential. I thought that young cats like Misha Mansoor or Tosin Abasi would be influenced by Alexi, but it he isn't mentioned. I looked at a survey over on the sevenstring forum where they asked folks for their top 5 influences and got 608 responses(!). I looked trough half the pages, 300 responses and Alexi comes up 9 times. And yes, Guys G does come up and so do Mansoor and Abasi, plenty of times. I'm active on a couple of music/guitar fora, and truth is that COB/Alexi rarely are mentioned. Now of course fora aren't exactly popular among young people. Personally I was surprised by the response when Alexi died, so sure, Alexi is more important to more people than what's out there in public, but not as much as we would like.

Speaking of that annoying Swedish youtuber, dude, plenty of kids want to be like him. He himself never paid much attention to COB and is asked by his subscribers to check COB out which he does on a video and he doesn't really get the music.

In the end it remains to be seen what sort of influence Alexi will have among young people. Assuming some of them will be successful one day and explicitly mention Alexi as an influence.

Laiho was never and never will be more famous that Rhoads. And I'm saying this objectively, I loved Laiho and never really liked Rhoads.

We have had a tremendous amount of fantastic guitarist in the more recent years, but thing is, electric guitar isn't as appreciated as it used to be. So people who don't play the guitar will only remember Laiho for his charisma, not for his music influence. And as a guitarist, I find that Laiho brought very little to the instrument. Many older licks were taken for already existing classical masterpieces, and many modern licks were boring some pentatonic runs. Sure, in between you also find all of Laiho's insanely good solos (Kissing the Shadow, Lil' Bloodred Ridin' Hood, Children of Bodom, Ugly, etc.), but even if these solos sound great, they didn't revolutionised the instrument, they didn't bring anything new to the table. Laiho was at best a talented player, not a genius.

I mean, it's not my kind of music, but think Steve Morse as an example of what I would qualify a Genius on guitar. Laiho never was of that calibre.

Laiho was never and never will be more famous that Rhoads. And I'm saying this objectively, I loved Laiho and never really liked Rhoads.

We have had a tremendous amount of fantastic guitarist in the more recent years, but thing is, electric guitar isn't as appreciated as it used to be. So people who don't play the guitar will only remember Laiho for his charisma, not for his music influence. And as a guitarist, I find that Laiho brought very little to the instrument. Many older licks were taken for already existing classical masterpieces, and many modern licks were boring some pentatonic runs. Sure, in between you also find all of Laiho's insanely good solos (Kissing the Shadow, Lil' Bloodred Ridin' Hood, Children of Bodom, Ugly, etc.), but even if these solos sound great, they didn't revolutionised the instrument, they didn't bring anything new to the table. Laiho was at best a talented player, not a genius.

I mean, it's not my kind of music, but think Steve Morse as an example of what I would qualify a Genius on guitar. Laiho never was of that calibre.

I disagree. Deep purple is boomer music. Don't just think of the leads, please also include the riffs.
If were talking other guitarplayers that are currently good, I'd have to say Dave Davidson. That hipster sure has some chops. Also Josh Middleton deserves a mention here. But Alexi wasn't just a guitarplayer, he was also a frontman from a very 'live' band. Wintersun is all modelling and backing tracks to a click. Granted they have some talent, but watching they recent pay-per-view shitshow makes me cringe. I'll take Jaska's rubato tempo drumming everyday over that shit. Watch 'Kissing the shadows' live from their '20 years tour' and then mention another singer/guitar player that can pull of that stuff. You just can't.

These Abasis and Mansours tech-death math rock guys just doesn't cut it for me. I was always way more into a well composed melody with nice embellishments and harmonies than i was ever about pure notes per minute. Also no one ever had as well thought out lyrical universe and visual imagery as COB/Alexi.

I don't care for Mansoor, Abasi, or Davidson's playing either. There's tons of guys who play better, more consistent, and cleaner than Alexi. But they play crap. So it doesn't matter how good they are.

If Alexi is to be remembered it should be as a brilliant composer. That's where his uniqueness lies I think.

As much as I like Alexi, he's not more famous than Randy. And I suspect, so far, Alexi isn't all that influential. I thought that young cats like Misha Mansoor or Tosin Abasi would be influenced by Alexi, but it he isn't mentioned. I looked at a survey over on the sevenstring forum where they asked folks for their top 5 influences and got 608 responses(!). I looked trough half the pages, 300 responses and Alexi comes up 9 times. And yes, Guys G does come up and so do Mansoor and Abasi, plenty of times. I'm active on a couple of music/guitar fora, and truth is that COB/Alexi rarely are mentioned. Now of course fora aren't exactly popular among young people. Personally I was surprised by the response when Alexi died, so sure, Alexi is more important to more people than what's out there in public, but not as much as we would like.

Speaking of that annoying Swedish youtuber, dude, plenty of kids want to be like him. He himself never paid much attention to COB and is asked by his subscribers to check COB out which he does on a video and he doesn't really get the music.

In the end it remains to be seen what sort of influence Alexi will have among young people. Assuming some of them will be successful one day and explicitly mention Alexi as an influence.
I probably expressed myself a little incorrectly. In fact, for some reason, many people who name Alexi as a role model are pretty quickly labeled as fanboys.

In purely playing terms, he wasn't my idol either. I was always a Children of Bodom fan and never really an Alexi fan. But you can't have one without the other. So if you are a fan of Children of Bodom, or have been influenced by Bodom, you are automatically a fan of Alexi. Or you were influenced by him.

Even if in the Sevenstring forum hardly anyone mentioned Alexi, it has nothing to do with his fame. Here it is mainly about influence on the own guitar playing. About any techniques that you have copied. Alexi is not famous because he could play so well, but because he was a gifted songwriter and (at least in the past) could play pretty well.

I think Teemu is currently one of the best young metal guitarists, because like Gilbert he just never makes mistakes and can play almost everything perfectly, but if Teemu would die today, in a few months no one would talk about him anymore. And it will be like that with almost all current guitarists under 40.

But Children of Bodom will still be played in 10 years. I think it will be the same with Alexi as it is today with Dimebag.