Alexi's gear/rigs are up for auction

That's a shame. It took me years of listening to them to finally see them live, and luckily when I did they were past the era of sloppy shows. It was really awesome. I'm sorry you didn't get the chance.

Reactions: Jason Combs
If Alexi had stayed at the top of his game for much longer he would be way more influential. In those 1998 videos his playing is unmatched. He already started slipping by 2001 and after 2004-05 he was no longer anything special really. I don't know how he fell so far skill wise but for a lot of people it was massively disappointing to go from looking up to this guy as the God of guitar to being better than him. Alexi's death is so weird to me because it's almost like that part of him I looked up to died a long time ago. It's been so weird over the years hearing people still refer to him as a guitar wizard and one of the best metal guitar players when it clearly wasn't the case for a long time. I hated going to shows and having to stand there and root for the guy not to constantly mess up.

I guess Alexi did say himself he wasn't exactly a role model.

I partially agree with what you're saying.
The band really became about partying a lot. Look at all their video material like 15 years of wasted youth, trashed and lost in Helsinki and all the COBTV episodes. I get that it's marketing and all, and teenage me loved that shit, but I'm all grown up now and see that they were grown men who didn't exactly have their shit together.
I mean if you can play your parts with one hand, while drinking and looking away, you're obviously not fulfilling your potential (looking at you JW). I don't agree that Alexi wasn't in the big league, but i can see how partying have put a dampener on his technical abilities. Whi know where he could have taken things if he'd spend his drinking time writing and practising. If you truly are better than Alexi were, I'd sure like to hear one of your platinum selling records that displays technical playing that surpasses that of Alexi.

For myself i can add that my practising doesn't take me anywhere if i am drunk, hung over, overworked or really tired from lack of sleep. But if I'm stressed out, but otherwise physically fine, practising and noodling on the guitar makes me relaxed and gives me focus.
18 years in on the guitar I'm still mediocre at best. I haven't learnt all the scales yet and i have shit time. But in my defense i haven't really invested as much as players who surpass me.

i watched that dvd with the car onstage more times than i can count. i can live with that. plus he lives vicariously through the countless guitarists he inspired.

so sad but hes my second favorite guitarist behind eddie. i want this stuf so bad but ive settled for just taking pics of the eq. never even got to see them live :(

Yeah, that's funny i just noticed that he's switched to OD2. Every rig rundown said he mainly used OD1, but that doesn't have a single marking on it.
Also notice how both resonance and presence are turned way down. It's probably to not make it boomy and ear piercing.

Reactions: Jason Combs
I partially agree with what you're saying.
The band really became about partying a lot. Look at all their video material like 15 years of wasted youth, trashed and lost in Helsinki and all the COBTV episodes. I get that it's marketing and all, and teenage me loved that shit, but I'm all grown up now and see that they were grown men who didn't exactly have their shit together.
I mean if you can play your parts with one hand, while drinking and looking away, you're obviously not fulfilling your potential (looking at you JW). I don't agree that Alexi wasn't in the big league, but i can see how partying have put a dampener on his technical abilities. Whi know where he could have taken things if he'd spend his drinking time writing and practising. If you truly are better than Alexi were, I'd sure like to hear one of your platinum selling records that displays technical playing that surpasses that of Alexi.

For myself i can add that my practising doesn't take me anywhere if i am drunk, hung over, overworked or really tired from lack of sleep. But if I'm stressed out, but otherwise physically fine, practising and noodling on the guitar makes me relaxed and gives me focus.
18 years in on the guitar I'm still mediocre at best. I haven't learnt all the scales yet and i have shit time. But in my defense i haven't really invested as much as players who surpass me.

Yeah it's really weird to look back at those videos cause I feel the same exact way!

Anyways, don't get me twisted i'm not saying I have anything on Alexi's playing ability at his best but in a lot of those later years I don't feel like i'd have trouble taking him. But you asked so heres by band lol. Coming out with a couple of new songs where I let a little more Bodom inspiration slip through soon as well.

So we all agree that this was shot during Alexi's peak playing abilities?

Well, he is indeed a composition master, but the playing skills were nothing out of the ordinary.

(Just for comparison with another guitarist whose technique really is impressive.)

Things you didn't consider: sitting vs standing, neck vs bridge pickup, post production vs tape recording, very different effect chains, playing for a promotional video vs a throwaway lick in guitar shop. For it to be a semi fair comparison, try Passage to the Reaper
^ Aleksi played the bit in your vid fairly clean btw

Reactions: Works0fheart
To me the 22 seconds of Alexi showing off those arpeggios is more exciting than the second video. I don't know Wintersun and I don't mean to diss the guy but I didn't hear anything exciting or impressive in the first 3 minutes and I simply didn't bother watching the rest.

Last edited:
Alexi's playing skill must have been out of the ordinary. He didn't get to where he got as a guitarist by accident. I agree that his composing is out of this world, but his playing wasn't too shabby either in the early days, and personally I also consider him a great vocalist. I think we all agree that there are "better" cleaner, faster, more consistent guitar players. Many of them are also playing it safe, they're not doing anything special.

This is a lot more interesting than anything I've seen by Teemu.

Yeah it's really weird to look back at those videos cause I feel the same exact way!

Anyways, don't get me twisted i'm not saying I have anything on Alexi's playing ability at his best but in a lot of those later years I don't feel like i'd have trouble taking him. But you asked so heres by band lol. Coming out with a couple of new songs where I let a little more Bodom inspiration slip through soon as well.

This is actually pretty good. Good production. The guitar tone is very something wild. Mean vocalist. I like it alot. Will deffo keep tabs on you. I think you could get up there, and I'd rather listen to your playing than opposed to alot of the more mainstream metal out there atm. Thank god it's not djent :rofl:

So we all agree that this was shot during Alexi's peak playing abilities?

Well, he is indeed a composition master, but the playing skills were nothing out of the ordinary.

(Just for comparison with another guitarist whose technique really is impressive.)

I like Teemu, the guy is a fckn machine. He's a bit vanilla for my tastes. Alexi had that undefinable quality. Teemu couldn't do Kissing the shadows live, while screaming. If you watch shows from the 2017 and 2018, the band is tight, and Alexis playing is godlike. Also it's the best vocal era of COB, but they're playing all their old songs.

Also rl is right. Wintersun currently blows.

Teemu is a beast, he plays that clean...man!
Andy James is also an awesome composer and has a good taste for leads/melodies.

Alexi sure is our hero here. He kinda had a "different" style, neoclassical etc. And he would be an awesome guitarist without the Booze, imagine all this talent in a "clear" mind.

Reactions: predator2353
Again, you're all talking about tastes. And it doesn't matter in that case. I too prefer Laiho's soli to Teemu's. I too prefer Bodom to Wintersun. I too think Laiho is a composition master and Teemu is a bit too "predictable" (and actually, Jari writes the solos - the solos written by Teemu for other bands are actually really insane).
But here we are talking about skills. Even at his best, Laiho still happened to be sloppy. He cared too much for the "rockstar" attitude that he neglected the playing.
But you have other guitarists on the other hand who are miles better than Laiho ever was or ever will be (as far as TECHNICALITY goes, not COMPOSING!). Teemu is one example, Andy James (whom I always forget about) is actually a beast too. Jason Richardson, Brendom Small, heck, even Laiho's protege Samy Elbana is a monster on the axe (and he's got that rock'n'roll attitude too on top of that, so no excuse for Laiho's sloppy playing).

Reactions: <Arcane>
Alexi had his golden years back in early 2000's. I think until 2003-4, then alcohol really messed him up. It really was something, the way he composed these songs. Teemu and Andy are both amazing guitarists, but I could only imagine what level Alexi would be on if he didn't drink. Keep in mind Teemu and Andy most likely barely touch alcohol in order to maintain their skill. I remember watching Andy back in the days when he started with Lick Library (I think he still is with them) and then proceeded to his solo albums. Great composer. I don't know what to say about Teemu, he's technically good, but creative-wise I haven't seen much, maybe because he's in the shadow of Jaari, but professional nevertheless.