Alice in Chains- A Looking in View

Cornell today sounds like elevator music to me compared to Soundgarden.I just can't listen to his stuff past Soundgarden.I never liked anything from Audioslave and I hate his solo work.Please don't stone me,I'm just simply saying I truly miss Soundgarden.

Speaking for me...yes.

Yep... that's what I'm telling you. Layne over Jon every day of the week, and twice on Sunday.

Zod

But yes, I feel Layne 10 x's more than those other singers mentioned. Dio is the closest in that department. The only thing Jon has made me feel is my bruised liver after drinking in close proximity to him. :)

Yep, it's official...you guys are nuts! :lol: To each his own though. There's no way I'll further attempt to change your "fanboy" minds. :devil:

~Brian~

For example: when Rob Halford says "I want to go...I want to go...I WANNA GO...HOT ROCKIN'!!!", he sings it with such conviction that I firmly believe HOT ROCKIN is truly the place where Halford would like to go at that very moment in time; however, just because he is so convincing in his desire to be in a state or place of HOT ROCKIN doesn't necessarily mean there is any depth to his level of emotion on the subject...it's really more of an exclamation, than anything...which I think we can all agree the Metal God does as well as anyone. However, if Layne were to have ever suggested that he, too, would like to go HOT ROCKIN, I don't think it would have been very convincing at all...but if Layne were to convey his disappointment and the betrayal he felt because he didn't get to go HOT ROCKIN with the rest of the guys, I think we could have had another melancholic masterpiece on our hands.
:lol:

There's no way I'll further attempt to change your "fanboy" minds.
Said the man with the Savatage avatar. :loco:

Zod

Yep, it's official...you guys are nuts! :lol: To each his own though. There's no way I'll further attempt to change your "fanboy" minds. :devil:

~Brian~

Pssst..hey Brian, I'm with you. :D

Just never thought Layne's voice was all that special. I actually prefer Jerry's vocals. No one can dispute the beauty of their harmonies. But Layne on his own just never did it for me.

Still excited for this album though.

(Disclaimer: I am an even bigger Jon Oliva nutswinger than Brian, so take my agreement with him for what it's worth! ;))

:lol:

Said the man with the Savatage avatar. :loco:

Zod

Nicely played, but I don't deny my "fanboy" status! :D

...of Savatage album without Jon Oliva. :loco:

Pelata, there's never been a Savatage album without Jon...maybe not on lead vox, but he's always been there my man.

Pssst..hey Brian, I'm with you. :D

Just never thought Layne's voice was all that special. I actually prefer Jerry's vocals. No one can dispute the beauty of their harmonies. But Layne on his own just never did it for me.

Still excited for this album though.

(Disclaimer: I am an even bigger Jon Oliva nutswinger than Brian, so take my agreement with him for what it's worth! ;))

Finally, someone with some sense! :loco:

~Brian~

OK... not as tough as I thought. Just a quick scan through my CD collection:

1. Geoff Tate
2. Matt Barlow
3. Ronnie James Dio
4. Chris Cornell
5. Russell Allen

The remaining 20, in alphabetical order...

Alan Averill "Nemtheanga"
Chris Salinas
Glenn Danzig
David Coverdale
Eric Adams
Erik Rosvald
Jeff Keith
Lance King
Layne Staley
Michael Eriksen
Nils K. Rue
Paul Kuhr
Ray Alder
Ray Gillen
Roy Khan
Sebastian Bach
Ted Pilot
Tim Owens
Urban Breed
Warrell Dane

Zod

That's an interesting list, but I do take umbrage at the following selections:

1) I saw Jeff Keith on that VH1 Station Family Fund benefit concert, and dude sounded EXACTLY like Cartman from South Park.

2) How can you have Matt Barlow on the list, yet you excluded Paul Stanley???

3) David Coverdale was the third best singer in Deep Purple, behind Ian Gillan and Glenn Hughes.

The rest of the list is okay, I suppose; I could go on (fucking Manowar???), but I really don't want to nitpick.

1) I saw Jeff Keith on that VH1 Station Family Fund benefit concert, and dude sounded EXACTLY like Cartman from South Park.
Jeff's voice isn't what it once was. Go back and listen to the emotion on those first two CDs.

2) How can you have Matt Barlow on the list, yet you excluded Paul Stanley???
Because Matt Barlow is an amazing singer and Paul Stanley can't sing at all.

The fact that they share a common tone, has nothing to do with their respective vocal abilities. If you've listened to Horror Show and walked away thinking Paul Stanley could perform that material, I don't know what to tell you. Perhaps an appointment with an otorhinolaryngologist? :loco:

3) David Coverdale was the third best singer in Deep Purple, behind Ian Gillan and Glenn Hughes.
I believe I was stating my opinion, not stating a measurable fact. If you like Hughes and Gillan better... cool.

The rest of the list is okay, I suppose; I could go on (fucking Manowar???), but I really don't want to nitpick.
You don't want to nitpick or you don't want to continue to openly demonstrate how wrong you are? :D

My pick of Adams was just that, a pick of Adams. I wasn't saying Manowar is one of the Top 25 bands of all-time. Have you listened to those first few discs? Have you ever seen him live? I once watched in amazement as he flawlessly hit and held a note for 75 seconds. The dude is a friggin machine.

Zod

Because Matt Barlow is an amazing singer and Paul Stanley can't sing at all.

Yeah, I guess that's why so many kids dress as Matt Barlow on Halloween :rolleyes:

On "ALIVE!", when Paul Stanley said "I hear there's alot of you pee-pull out there that like to drink vodka and awange joose", I said "HELL YEAH!" even though I was only six years old...now THAT's what rock 'n' roll is all about.

I believe I was stating my opinion, not stating a measurable fact. If you like Hughes and Gillan better... cool.

I like Coverdale, as well...but he started his career as a Paul Rodgers clone, until realizing there was more money to be made as a Robert Plant clone.

My pick of Adams was just that, a pick of Adams. I wasn't saying Manowar is one of the Top 25 bands of all-time. Have you listened to those first few discs?

I haven't, and I have no interest in doing so.

Have you ever seen him live? I once watched in amazement as he flawlessly hit and held a note for 75 seconds. The dude is a friggin machine.

Based on your recommendation, I checked out the YouTube clips from some concert in Bulgaria; dude sounds like a poor-man's Jesse James Dupree.

You don't want to nitpick or you don't want to continue to openly demonstrate how wrong you are? :D

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree :lol:

Yeah, I guess that's why so many kids dress as Matt Barlow on Halloween :rolleyes:
Call me odd, but I tend to judge the talents of a vocalist based on what I hear, not by how many kids dressed as him for Halloween in 1978.

I haven't, and I have no interest in doing so.
If you haven't heard his work, why criticize my selection of him?

Based on your recommendation, I checked out the YouTube clips from some concert in Bulgaria;
I didn't recommend checking out his current work. Eric Adam is now 55. I was referring to music he made (largely) during the period of 1982 - 1984.

...dude sounds like a poor-man's Jesse James Dupree.
I'm by no means an Eric Adams fan boy. I reach for an old Manowar CD maybe once or twice a year, mostly out of a sense of nostalgia. That said, calling Eric Adams "a poor-man's Jesse James Dupree" is one of the stranger statements I've read on this board. Which leads me to wonder... the reference you chose for both Adams and Keith are from 2008 and 2007 performances respectively. If this is your frame of reference, and you're not exceptionally familiar with these singers, why are you criticizing my selections of them? Why not criticize my selection of Tate, based on his vocal work on American Soldier? How would that be any different?

If you have a criticism of Adams' work on Battle Hymns or Keith's work on Mechanical Resonance, let's hear it.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree :lol:
Sounds like a plan. :D

Zod

I think I'm starting to pick up on the distinction with the point Zod is trying to make, because there is a difference between evoking emotion and simply singing with conviction.

For example: when Rob Halford says "I want to go...I want to go...I WANNA GO...HOT ROCKIN'!!!", he sings it with such conviction that I firmly believe HOT ROCKIN is truly the place where Halford would like to go at that very moment in time; however, just because he is so convincing in his desire to be in a state or place of HOT ROCKIN doesn't necessarily mean there is any depth to his level of emotion on the subject...it's really more of an exclamation, than anything...which I think we can all agree the Metal God does as well as anyone. However, if Layne were to have ever suggested that he, too, would like to go HOT ROCKIN, I don't think it would have been very convincing at all...but if Layne were to convey his disappointment and the betrayal he felt because he didn't get to go HOT ROCKIN with the rest of the guys, I think we could have had another melancholic masterpiece on our hands.

Following this logic, is it safe to assume that Rob Halford isn't interested in being a "Man in the Box?" ;)

- R

With that said, he's a great vocalist...
Are you sure you want to go with "great vocalist"? If so, which song would I queue up to be floored by his greatness? Which song is his "Take Hold of the Flame"? His "Dracula"? Which song would I be blown away by his power, range and depth of emotion?

Keep in mind, when I say he "can't sing", that isn't meant to imply he doesn't have a cool voice. For instance, I love Vince Neil's voice on disc. However, I think we can agree, Vince can't sing. Blackie Lawless has a totally badass voice. But Blackie is not a great vocalist. Paul can carry a tune. However, does he do so with power, range and/or emotional depth? Not that I've ever heard. However, as always, I'm open to being proved wrong.

Zod

Listen to the live version of "I Still Love You" from the unplugged disc. If that doesn't get you to change your mind just a little bit then nothing else will. I think he's a great vocalist.