Alice in Chains- A Looking in View

Love the song. I personally have never had a problem with their reformation and am finally glad to hear new music. I've seen them twice with William Duvall and he does a fantastic job considering who he has had to follow.

It starts off pretty killer, but then it never really goes anywhere. It just seems long, drawn out, and kind of boring after the three minute mark. They should have chopped four minutes off the song.

Britt

Agreed also love it! It's always dangerous when bands come out of hiding after this long with new material, much less with a new vocalist replacing such an awesome predecessor.

Alice in Chains didn't disappoint so far! Definitely interested to see how the rest of the album will sound.

I'm stoked for this new album! Don't forget, Jerry had a huge part in AIC's vocal style which seems pretty intact here...

Don't forget, Jerry had a huge part in AIC's vocal style which seems pretty intact here...
I'm not sure how that makes bringing in a Layne clone acceptable.

Jerry is doing what many legendary music acts have done... failed to demonstrate the integrity to move on and allow the band to die with dignity, alongside its fallen member. Jerry tried to move on, failed and has returned for a paycheck. It's his right to do that, it's my right to lose all respect for him.

And as for Jerry's musical genius...

Mad Season > anything Jerry's ever done

Zod

I'm not sure how that makes bringing in a Layne clone acceptable.

Jerry is doing what many legendary music acts have done... failed to demonstrate the integrity to move on and allow the band die with dignity, alongside its fallen member. Jerry tried to move on, failed, and has returned for a paycheck. It's his right to do that, it's my right to lose all respect for him.

And as for Jerry's musical genius...

Mad Season > anything Jerry's ever done

Zod

I tend to agree with you Zod.I would prefer a band to reinvent themselves with a new singer.I may be the only one on this board who will admit this,but I loved Motley Crue with Jon Corabi more than I did with Vince Neil.Jon sounded NOTHING like Vince and I liked that.

I disagree. It's not Jerry's fault that Layne was a junkie who couldn't stop until he was dead. If AC/DC had stopped after Highway to Hell we wouldn't have got Back in Black. I think he should've kept it going long ago. Whether a solo career failed or not is irrelevant. The music he makes with the other other two guys in AiC outweighs not having Layne there. Duvall is similar to Layne but I wouldn't call him a clone, and he is excellent live, both vocally and adding second guitar which is something the band didn't have before. He does a great job for the shoes he has to fill.

I disagree. It's not Jerry's fault that Layne was a junkie who couldn't stop until he was dead. If AC/DC had stopped after Highway to Hell we wouldn't have got Back in Black. I think he should've kept it going long ago. Whether a solo career failed or not is irrelevant. The music he makes with the other other two guys in AiC outweighs not having Layne there. Duvall is similar to Layne but I wouldn't call him a clone, and he is excellent live, both vocally and adding second guitar which is something the band didn't have before. He does a great job for the shoes he has to fill.

I totally agree with this. Well said.

I agree as well.

Zod and Britt are just bringing back the Royal Carnage Revolution with all their posts lately!! :heh:

I disagree. It's not Jerry's fault that Layne was a junkie who couldn't stop until he was dead.
I never insinuated it was. However, he lost his friend, a founding member and the face of the band. In addition, half the songs were about Layne. I've always had a world of respect for Plant for putting Zeppelin to bed after the passing of Bohnam. Jerry should have followed suit.

If AC/DC had stopped after Highway to Hell we wouldn't have got Back in Black.
You've merely chosen the exception that proves the rule.

Whether a solo career failed or not is irrelevant.
It's relevant to his intentions.

The music he makes with the other other two guys in AiC outweighs not having Layne there.
Yeah... like anyone cares who the other two guys are. 99% of the people who will show up to these shows wouldn't even notice if Jerry replaced the rhythm section.

He can make whatever music he wishes. If he hooked up with a talented singer who was completely different from Layne, I'd be curious to hear it. This is a move to replenish his 401K.

Duvall is similar to Layne but I wouldn't call him a clone, and he is excellent live, both vocally and adding second guitar which is something the band didn't have before. He does a great job for the shoes he has to fill.
Come on... he's a clone.

Zod

I tend to agree with you Zod.I would prefer a band to reinvent themselves with a new singer.I may be the only one on this board who will admit this,but I loved Motley Crue with Jon Corabi more than I did with Vince Neil.Jon sounded NOTHING like Vince and I liked that.
I think your nuts on the Vince thing, as Shout is one of my favorite discs of all-time. But I respect you for saying as much.

There's no revolution ... just lots of mediocrity getting lots of hype around here these days.
QFT.

Zod and Britt are just bringing back the Royal Carnage Revolution with all their posts lately!! :heh:
I wish. I can't even begin to tell you how much great music I discovered there (neck and neck with here). Shame it turned into a shithole with 99% of the threads being off topic.

Zod

I'm torn on this issue, because AiC has always been a band I liked, despite only having a select number of albums/EPs (all of which are fucking good). I hate that the band's sound was largely reliant on such a unique voice in a way, because it really makes the reunion attempt seem lackluster.

BUT---I think the new song is pretty damn good, and I've heard that these guys still sound great live, so maybe I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. I'll check out the new album, and if it's trash, then I'm done with them for now and I'll go back to their old genius.

I guess I'll go ahead and be a homer for the local dude and say I dig it; however, with respect to him being a clone, I guess I don't hear even a remote resemblance to Layne in his previous work.

With respect to Crue, Corabi SMOKES Vince Neil, and the most entertaining (and enduring) thing to result from the "Shout" recordings is the Nikki Sixx versus Tom Werman pissing contest via the Internets.

Oh, and I don't care how much people still love "Back in Black"...having to suffer through nearly THREE DECADES of Brian Johnson screeching and wheezing his way through the Bon Scott-era tunes was a hell of a price to pay for that one album.

I think your nuts on the Vince thing, as Shout is one of my favorite discs of all-time. But I respect you for saying as much.
I also love "Shout".I had 2nd row seats to the concert in Birmingham,AL back when they came with Megadeth.I think it was called the "Maximum Rock" tour.Vince asked the crowd toward the end of the set to pick the next song.He gave us 3 choices:
1. Knock 'Em Dead Kid (One of my faves with Vince)
2. Helter Skelter
3. Too Young To Fall In Love

The crowd got the loudest on Helter Sklelter so that's what they played.Really enjoyed that show.........

Just wanted to clarify my statement.Notice I said I love Jon more than I love Vince,which means I love both,just preferred Jon a little more:)
I'm glad they didn't try to get a Vince clone for that brief period.It gave me the oppurtunity to hear Jon and to appreciate his donation to the Crue world:headbang:

I'm kind of with some of you here.

AIC just ain't AIC w/out Layne. But at the same time the rest of the band was full of talent as well. I want to give these guys a chance because I loved their old stuff, but it's going to be tough without Layne's haunting voice.