7.Symphony X – Underworld
8.Pink Floyd – The Endless River
10.Nightwish – Endless Forms Most Beautiful

Here is what it looks like when you remove the sentimental picks:

Official Progressive Albums Chart – Top 10

4.Joe Satriani – Shockwave Supernova
7.Symphony X – Underworld

Here is what it looks like when you objectively rate based on awesomeness and musical brilliance:

1.Symphony X – Underworld
9.Joe Satriani – Shockwave Supernova

Even Nightwish is questionable, and I have been a Joe fan all my life (long life), but his SS album,while OK, basically, it is nothing that comes close to Symphony X.

Finally, then, this is what we are left with:

1.Symphony X – Underworld

In other words, nothing on that list comes even close, and it is a joke that Sym X is '#7'.

One of these days, ppl with real talent are going to take over the world.

Symphony X is good, but not the be all end all of progressive metal. Most of the best progressive bands use extreme vocals though, which puts off a lot of entry level "progressive" metal fans. Symphony X is power metal for the most part, they haven't been truly progressive since The Odyssey or V imo.

the symphony x stuff i've heard is genuinely some of the worst shit i've ever had the displeasure of listening to, and i'm much more open to cheesy euro power/neoclassical/etc (i know they're american but you know what i mean) than a lot people on this board. they strike upon a whole bunch of my pet hates and i always go running back to my dark moor CDs.

Reactions: The Butt and Omni
Nightwish is definitely not a progressive metal band.

Also, who cares about this anyway?

the symphony x stuff i've heard is genuinely some of the worst shit i've ever had the displeasure of listening to, and i'm much more open to cheesy euro power/neoclassical/etc (i know they're american but you know what i mean) than a lot people on this board. they strike upon a whole bunch of my pet hates and i always go running back to my dark moor CDs.

Their saving grace is Michael Romeo who is truly an Yngwie Malmsteen caliber neoclassical guitar player. He also composes some quality classical interludes and such. Otherwise I would have little interest in the band. Their recent phase of trying to be "more metal" is pretty cringeworthy. They need to stick to the neoclassicism that made them internet famous.

Not to mention I don't even want a Reverend Bizarre reunion, unless it's strictly to play a show or something. They finished that band on too perfect an end note to reverse it.

Oh, yeah, I wouldn't really desire to hear any new music, but if they got announced for Hammer of Doom fest I think I may just have to make the journey out there for that shit. Especially if it's the complete original lineup of Albert, Peter, and Earl.

Reactions: CiG
Status
Not open for further replies.