Allmusic.com review of Lamentations

What a great review, not only of Lamentations, but of the band. Obviously a fan. I like '...the band's diverse and unparalleled combination of death metal, unwieldy, ambitious prog, and earthy folk...' Got to be one of the best Opeth descriptions yet!!

Their reviews are really uneven, totally depending on the individual, ranging from professional and insightful to haphazard, ignorant or obsolete, especially in the smaller niche genres.

Theory in Practice - Colonizing the Sun

Theory in Practice brings to mind a few different metal bands with their brutal assault, but the band that they have the most in common with seems to be Fear Factory. Not the multi-faceted Fear Factory that pals around with Gary Numan and appears on major film soundtracks, but the savage Fear Factory of 1992. The Fear Factory that flavored their sludgy death metal assault with the occasional sample or synth line. Which is precisely how Colonizing the Sun is handled by these folks. The only problem is that ten years after Fear Factory first did it, a hundred other metal bands have done the exact same thing with little or no change. And just like all of those bands, Theory in Practice delivers a by-the-numbers metal album. Sure, they throw in cute touches like bass solos to prove their technical chops, and they have a very aggressive sound that really fits their style. But the songs are the same old nonsense, the vocals are unintelligible, and it is hard to believe that after 15 years, this genre just gets bigger and bigger with so few changes to the sound. -- Bradley Torreano

I'm always hoping that amg will give a cd that I like a good review...and they usually don't...and then I'm like "hey man screw you you damn reviewer". But on the rare occasion that they hand out a good review I'm like, "cool....I'll have to come back to this site again some day" I'd probably bebetter off if the site just didnt exist.

"The live gig finds the band Jekyll-and-Hyde-ing through a two-hour set, split into mellow and beastly halves."

What does he mean by that? I've heard a little about Jekyll and Hyde but that doesn't explain this.