also kayo dot got reviewed in the washington post!!!

Baliset

guitar deity
Jul 31, 2002
New England
www.maudlinofthewell.com
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Kayo Dot
[/SIZE][/FONT]
When such bands as Led Zeppelin invented heavy metal, they were simply supercharging the blues, using vocals and guitar that sounded intimate even at extreme volume. Such contemporary art-metal groups as Kayo Dot, which performed Thursday at the Warehouse Next Door, treat heavy rock as a sort of chamber music, emphasizing the power and precision of the ensemble over individual expression. The Boston group could be described as the creature of Toby Driver, who composes the music, plays guitar and occasionally sings.
Yet the band, which couldn't fit all eight of its members on the club's small stage, set up so that Driver was facing away from the audience. Kayo Dot permits solos but not star turns.
The group played a 45-minute set that comprised three long pieces, two of them from its new album, "Dowsing Anemone With Copper Tongue." (That's another characteristic of chamber-metal outfits: They'd never stoop to titling anything "Whole Lotta Love.'') The pieces began quietly, with passages that featured samples, Mia Matsumiya's violin, Forbes Graham's array of horns or Driver's vocals, whose thinness was the group's most indie-rock aspect.
Gradually, the music built to howling climaxes in which grinding guitars and galloping drums combined into an all-encompassing shriek. Not exactly a human shriek, though -- there was drama in the music but no theater in the performance. The effect resembled an orchestral performance of Wagner or Grieg: a skillful evocation of a tempest in which the performers stood outside the storm, untouched by wind or rain.

-- Mark Jenkins

I get the Post! I can't believe they are in there. I was at that show, it was really great. This review is pretty accurate. Mia sold me the new CD, I'm getting into that one now. What's the name of the guitarist, the big guy? He was in line behind me. Hope to check them again sometime soon....

My friend Jordan was at that show, and he said it was "almost better than sex."

Oh, and my last post was about this...

kayorly6uq.jpg

That would be my creation. I was bored, had Photoshop open, and felt like contributing to Jake's picture thread.

the show was fucking amazing. definitely the best yet i'm really glad i went.
37 punched me in the face on the way home though, he's such a dick.

greg played the entire length of "gemini becoming the tripod" with his scrotum protruding from his fly! how could you miss that!

greg, did your guitar turn up, or did the tall skinny butt nutter actually end up with it?

i take back what i said before. punching amanda was the best part of the night. ...then she threw her drink on my lap. i thought that was completely uncalled for.